Status
Not open for further replies.
he does very little excercise.
basicallly has a hand flexor which he loves using for an hour each day while watching tv
and then a resistance band that he used fro his arms to do 15 reps of 3 sets.
and a walk a day.
that is it.

we are not encouraging anymore excercise.

Good for you pearshoot and well said.
Its been proven having a positive outlook and setting goals can improve life expectancy in terminal illness.

June 1st 2013 76 days on DP

Had a follow up appt. at UI for the CK-367 trial and one more to go even though I abandoned the trial due to intolerable side effects. I lost some ground after spending a miserable night in the Denver Airport...no sleep for nearly 36 hours, no AAKG etc. and no exercise combined with sheer fatigue, all of which I am struggling to recover from. My voice and strength in general is very slowly getting somewhat better but I am unsure if I will recover what was lost? I share that to keep into context any negative results because they are not due to the DP itself.

April 23rd

SVC - 96%

EKG - Normal

Sniff Test - 70

Right Hand Strength - 22.3 lbs

Left Hand Strength - 60.1 lbs

Heart rate 51 BP 130/80

FRS 43

May10th

SVC - 97.8%

EKG -N/A

Sniff Test - 65

Right Hand Strength - 21.8 lbs

Left Hand Strength - 65.1 lbs

Heart rate 50 BP 127/79

FRS 43

May31th

SVC - 102%

MVV - 125% (breathing test)

EKG -N/A

Sniff Test - 83

Right Hand Strength - 14.6 lbs

Left Hand Strength - 55.1 lbs

Heart rate 64 BP 127/79 (normal heart rate taken after resting but this time had to walk extended distance and then cked it)

FRS 43

Some things of note: Breathing has improved and is over the top good! The DP, aerobic exercise, Powerlung and breath stacking exercise all no doubt play a positive role in that. Normally the nurse allows me to have a couple shots at the grip test and 2nd/3rd attempts are always stronger then 1st but this time was a one shot deal?

When I started the DP I could not even dent a simple stress ball but now I can repeatedly crush a 5.0 Digi-flex and hold it and moved my left hand to a 7.5 DF so the grip tests (which is like squeezing a hammer handle?) do not reflect the improvements I have seen/made.

I tried gabapentin for RLS back in May and within days my hands and feet swelled up like balloons, feet are 90% back to normal but right/weak hand on 30% normal which also has a negative effect on strength.

Standing up is more difficult, voice not as good but otherwise still independent, no saliva or swallowing problems (I did have before DP), fasiculations vary but still most prominent in arms. Before DP I had them frequently in my throat/neck but no longer.

There is no question that exercise plays and equally important role in the Deanna Protocol or for any PALS capable of doing so regardless of treatment, but...having been forced to go without AAKG/AKG for to long I can verify that it is the other major player here...;)

dbltree just an FYI, MVV (Maximum voluntary ventilation) is not reported as a percentage, but it is a value that is extrapolated out to volume per minute. So your score is 125 liters/minute (amount of air that can be inhaled/exhaled). I am 42, and doing research found the median value for someone my age is 140 l/m, I am blowing in the 120-130 range, but I also have asthma which affects my breathing values (FVC, SVC, etc)...

FVC values are definitively going to be affected if you have asthma.
That's something you must let your Pulmonologist at the Clinic know when performing FVC test.

NH

Thanks for explaining MB! Here's a link to a calculation by height and age

Measurement of Ventilatory Function

According to that mine should be 153 (which is a maximum) but trial nurse just said mine was great? First time they did that test so I have no trend too compare it to?

@NH oh yeah she knows, she prescribes me advair and my albuterol for my asthma :)

Here's a good table explaining various lung/breathing tests...

The more common lung function values measured with spirometry are:

Forced vital capacity (FVC). This measures the amount of air you can exhale with force after you inhale as deeply as possible.

Forced expiratory volume (FEV). This measures the amount of air you can exhale with force in one breath. The amount of air you exhale may be measured at 1 second (FEV1), 2 seconds (FEV2), or 3 seconds (FEV3). FEV1 divided by FVC can also be determined.

Forced expiratory flow 25% to 75%. This measures the air flow halfway through an exhale.

Peak expiratory flow (PEF). This measures how quickly you can exhale. It is usually measured at the same time as your forced vital capacity (FVC).

Maximum voluntary ventilation (MVV). This measures the greatest amount of air you can breathe in and out during one minute.

Slow vital capacity (SVC). This measures the amount of air you can slowly exhale after you inhale as deeply as possible.

Total lung capacity (TLC). This measures the amount of air in your lungs after you inhale as deeply as possible.

Functional residual capacity (FRC). This measures the amount of air in your lungs at the end of a normal exhaled breath.

Residual volume (RV). This measures the amount of air in your lungs after you have exhaled completely. It can be done by breathing in helium or nitrogen gas and seeing how much is exhaled.

Expiratory reserve volume (ERV). This measures the difference between the amount of air in your lungs after a normal exhale (FRC) and the amount after you exhale with force (RV).

I have a Powerlung to help strengthen my lungs/breathing but the breath stacking is something I can do anytime and multiple times a day!

To perform stacked breathing exercises, simply sit on the edge of a chair or bed, keeping your back straight and shoulders relaxed. Take a small breath, focusing on filling the base of your lungs, and hold for a second. Without exhaling, take in a larger breath and hold for one more second. Finally, take a big breath that fills your lungs as much as possible and hold for three to 10 seconds. Purse your lips and exhale slowly.

I do two separate 20+ minute workouts on the elliptical every day and I can pickup the pace without breathing hard!

I've heard a lot of good reports from PALS using exercise plates so ordered one...I'll let you know how it works out...;)

I guess I am newly diagnosed as well. I have had swallowing and upper esophageal issues for 15 years. Then about 4 years ago I noticed I couldn't easily climb stairs, get up from chairs, etc. 2-3 years ago I started to seek out doctors to find out what this was. This year i have started having trouble walking, and using my Arms and hands. I've seen 2 neurologists, a rheumatologist, an orthopedic surgeon. I've had a brain and neck MRI, numerous blood work, 2 EMGs and a muscle biopsy. I'm waiting for the results of a test for Pompe disease and another for type 3 SMA, but the diagnosis so far is probable motor neuron disease. How could this be MND when the progress has been so slow?

I know a few PALS that have had ALS for 20 and even 30 years, while unusual it does happen. Have you also been tested for Multifocal motor neuropathy (MMN)?

Yes, my nerve conduction studies were normal...so no MMN. Things do seem to be moving faster.

My EMG showed denervation in leg, arm and cranial muscles. My mammometry showed upper third of my esophagus with severe weakness (upper third is skeletal muscle) and my muscle biopsy showed loss of nerves. So I guess if these last 2 tests come back negative I fit the diagnosis for definite ALS.

June 15th, 2013 90 days on DP

I purchased a Confidence exercise plate to use along with my elliptical and so far really like it! I had not previously heard of them but quite frankly I can get quite a work out on it doing squats, standing on toes, ball of heels etc. I also bought book (which is way over my head!) but it explains in detail how/why they work (it's meant for trainers and PT's)

Exercise is a huge part of using the Deanna Protocol successfully and the exercise plate is something Deanna uses as well...worth looking into for those that can stand.

Since being on the DP I have loosened my frozen fingers and went from no use to squeezing a stress ball, then to a 5# digi-flex and now a 7,5#!

2 months ago I struggled to do 2-3 minutes on my toes (on elliptical) now I can do 10-15 on my toes and not be exhausted and I do two 20 minute workouts a day.

The negatives are difficulty standing up and shoulder pain but I work on both and do ROM exercises as well. I do stacked breathing exercises as well as use a Power Lung and I don't even breath hard when using elliptical.

Some feel that the DP is to difficult to follow and therefore cast a negative light on it, so the following are my personal feelings that may help others decide what is right for them....

I continue to stall progression on the DP and I value my life enough that 5/10 minutes a day taking pills is well worth it. I respect that others may feel differently but I know teenage diabetics who for the rest of their life must ck their blood sugar multiple times a day, give themselves injections multiple times and carefully watch their diet...failure to do so means certain death or at best amputated feet (I have witnessed both!)...they don't complain that it's "to much"...they just incorporate it into their lives to survive.

For those that value life and find it worth fighting for...the Deanna Protocol is not something you can do "just a little of"...it requires a full on commitment to follow the protocol, exercise and follow a clean diet low in high free glutamate and preferably gluten free (grains are high in Omega 6 which is inflammatory)

I work out an hour+ a day...I enjoy it, it makes me feel good and keeps muscles from becoming paralyzed, I eat clean choosing organic grass fed meats (venison in my case), fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, I consume coconut oil and MCT oil to help increase ketones, take a series of pills three X a day (2 minutes time each) and I take AKG every hour (1 minute)I rub CO on twice a day (my wife puts body lotion on daily..c-mon it's no big deal!) I don't shower it off...takes 5 minutes a.m./p.m., I use Liposomal glutathione, undenatured whey protein and Milk Thistle to help keep antioxidant levels high.

I also conduct our family farm/habitat business, spend hours on the phone with clients, create plans, submit cost share applications and more...in otherwords...business as usual. I'm a "working man" and I owe it to my wife and son to remain independent as long as possible, doing otherwise because it's "to much trouble" to me is outright laziness but that's only my personal opinion of myself and not others...your choices are yours and yours alone and none of my affair.

In short...if living a longer, better quality of life with ALS is not your goal or seems to much trouble or effort to make it worth it, or you simply wish to "get this over"...the Deanna Protocol is not for you.

If however your life has value and it's worth fighting for, visit Winning the Fight, download the Protocol, read thru the forum comments and decide if it might be right for you? Keep in mind that anyone with ALS today will not live to see an approved treatment or cure...we either help ourselves...or die

The following are reminders (from Dr T.) that much higher levels of AKG are usually needed (I take 3's the protocol suggested amounts)

"There have been questions about how others are doing on the protocol. I can honestly say there have been very few people who have not seen an improvement on the protocol. Those who have not improved have been taking very low doses of AKG. This has been mentioned before in the forum but it is so important let me state it again. This observation comes from many emails from ALS patients. Ones muscle symptoms [fasiculations, twitching , tremors, cramps] determine how much AKG you need. If these symptoms are pronounced you need more AKG If one has a very active day they may see these symptoms increase then they know they need more AKG. Those patients who have not seen an improvement were not taking enough AKG.
Our hypothesis is that cells die because they lack energy. The energy mechanism is shut down because AKG is lacking because its precursor [glutamate] accumulates in excess. AKG is a very important substrate in the TCA cycle located in the mitochondria. In fact if AKG is lacking NAD cannot be reduced to NADH so this is then lacking in all the other TCA cycle substrates.
It may be if your disease progresses you will need to increase your AKG. We don't know whether AKG can be stored or what its 1/2 life is or how fast it is used up. Hence take AKG every hour while awake. How much? Use your muscle symptoms as a guide
Dr.T."

ALS varies widely, so some very aggressive cases may not see hoped for results just as we see with stem cell transplants or chemo in cancer patients, so because some are not helped doesn't mean many more (such as myself) are not slowing or stalling progression....

@RobbiJ, I am sorry that you find yourself here, but this forum have so much helpful info and other PALs here to answer questions. I hope it turns out that you do not have ALS. If you do not mind me asking is your doctor in Dallas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back