Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard that there are legal ways to separate your income in order to qualify for medicaid if you have "long term illness". You might check out something called a "millers trust". I don't know if it would be of help but you may want to find out.

Cold really stiffens up my husband....and then he has spasms .

Good to find things to laugh about for sure...:lol:

A good friend of mine sells supplemental insurance for medicare and shared with me that upon starting SS disability/medicare there is a 6 month open enrollment when no medical questions can be asked when purchasing a supplemental insurance policy. This will allow me to purchase BC supplemental ins. which will then pay all the co-pays and deductibles that medicare would leave behind and also would cover an extended hospital stay. So despite already having a diagnosis I can still purchase a policy so as to avoid being stuck with additional costs. Not sure if that is a state (Iowa) or across the nation policy but worth looking into for those newly diagnosed...just don't wait, 6 months goes by quickly!

I'll check out the Millers Trust...

Thanks for the comments regarding cold...helpful to know what is "normal" if there is such a thing with this disease...:wink:

My friend's brother was able to get in about 3 months. I'm not sure if this is the case for all TERI cases for ALS?

My friend's brother was able to get in about 3 months. I'm not sure if this is the case for all TERI cases for ALS?

What does TERI stand for ? Sorry I am still "digesting" all the acronyms....:wink:

TERI is a term meaning terminal illness. The Social Security Administration has placed guidelines for expediting these type cases. You can read about the cases that qualify under this law at the SS website. ALS, AIDS and several others are automatically fast tracked.

TERI is a term meaning terminal illness. The Social Security Administration has placed guidelines for expediting these type cases. You can read about the cases that qualify under this law at the SS website. ALS, AIDS and several others are automatically fast tracked.

Ok, I understand now, thanks for clarifying that for me :wink:

I haven't been diagnosed with cancer and i hope there's no findings at all.I wish i stay healthy as before but sadly the doctor said that i have a tumor that needs a general surgery. I'm still very lucky that its not that cancerous but i have to earn money to pay those doctors fee. :(

1/14/2013

The one hope I think many of us share is for slow progression and I find myself "testing" every day to see if I have lost anymore strength (muscle).

It's been roughly 7 months since losing thumb/forefinger grip strength and strength in my wrist so every morning I lift a full coffee pot with my right hand, just to see if I can. Pretty shaky but still doable, can't say that my hand strength is radically weaker, I can lift things straight up (with arm) but tougher with arm outstretched.

I can still walk on balls of feet and toes although some minor weakness in right ankle, some muscle ache/cramping in right hand/arm but no apparent atrophy in arm (some in hand)

Some numbness in left hand thumb/forefinger but no loss of strength yet.

No problems swallowing, talking or walking so far (praise God!) twitches almost everywhere which I have come to hate...they serve as a constant reminder...

Praying all CALS and PALS that God will grant us all strength to face the challenges that lie ahead....

Hello

I'm sorry you had to join us--but am glad you found the site. Pardon me if this has been said already, but I didn't read all the posts.

As to disability--YES! With a diagnosis of MND/ALS you will qualify. Checks and medicare begin after 5months of not working. There is no two year wait for Medicare in ALS cases. Please-use your energy for things you enjoy--not working in a strenuous job. Especially if you're falling. PALS are to avoid falls at all costs. The sooner you apply for disability, the sooner you can collect. Does your current employer offer any long-term disability? IF not--let them 'fire' you due to inability to do your job and collect unemployment if you can.

There will be much support here for you as you go through this. The members here will do their best to be sure you never feel totally alone in this battle.

There are also clinical trials and therapies that weren't here even a few years ago--please get with a good clinic--even if you have to go to Mayo in Rochester--and find them.

If you are a vet, there is even more assistance, as if you were full-time military, ALS is considered a military service related disease. Lots of bennies there if you can take advantage of them.

I read they said MND -- likely ALS-- keep that likely in mind, but do have them be sure. Get a second opinion. ALS has been misdiagnosed before.

Contact the ALS association in your state. We can find you the link if you need it. They will be able to answer a lot of questions for you as well.

Please ask if you have any questions--someone will know the answer.

Edited again as I remembered you mentioned pain. While most docs would tell you pain isn't part of MND, they are talking about pain from the loss of the nerves, thus the muscles--which may be true. That doesn't stop pain from muscle spasms and cramps, nor from joints taking on the extra work of less muscle strength.

If you're having pain in one specific area when sitting, though--be sure there isn't something happening within a disc--trapped nerve or something. No reason to deal with more pain than necessary.

There are meds that can help with muscle spasms, such as Baclofen. I couldn't do without it at this point. Pain meds are possible if you need them as well.

Last edited:
It can only be ALS when it can't be anything else

Thanks for all the info notme and your comment in each post seems to so true! That's pretty much what my neurologist told me (in so many words)

MS for instance shows up on MRI's except...in 5% of cases where a spinal tap must be done (among other things) but since no lesion showed up on my MTR "you don't have MS" I was told.

Thyroid issues can cause almost identical issues, (muscle twitches, loss of strength etc) as can mercury dental fillings (in some cases) so it always makes one wonder if every stone has been turned over?

There are probably stickies to these questions and if so perhaps someone can tell me where to look but....

Exactly how do they determine PLS from ALS?

I understand what UMN and LMN is (kinda) but is there a clear definition of symptoms here on this site or perhaps someone can clarify or define for me?

The waters are still a little murky and as I go forward I'd like to know all I can so I know what questions to ask etc.

Laurel posted recently about a web site that is helpful.

Check out e Neuro info dot com

The section under neuromuscular primer has info on UMN and LMN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back