Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely consider the bed if you can afford it. You'll want all the assistance you can get for sitting up, bending knees, and just changing position all over rather often.

Cathie, the doc at the clinic (or anywhere else) can write you a script for a hospital bed (if you get it without the traditional headboard/footboard, it should look like a "normal" bed from the top) so you can get at least partial reimbursement for the cost from your health plan under your DME benefit.

There is an Equipment sticky you may want to look at, for considering some of your future needs.

Also, have you asked PT/OT for advice? Their role is reactive usually but I think they would love to help you be proactive and set up things that will work for future needs.

Did you already find a new place?

Consider space requirements for the very large power wheel chairs that PALS use. With that in mind, don't over fill the new place. I've moved quite a bit of furniture to the garage to make room for my husband and his chair.

As for the bed, we started with an adjustable split king. What it lacked that hospital beds have is the ability to rise up and down--something I find invaluable now. I also now use the footboard to hang the electronics for the alternating air mattress. Unfortunately, the home style hospital bed we have does not have rails that raise up with the bed, so when my husband is sitting up, there are no rails to use to stuff bolsters or pillows next to to hold him straight, and he slumps.
Ironically, I had rails that worked with the first bed--the one that didn't elevate.

Becky

The two things that have helped me early on was the lift chair and the adjustable bed (I had this for another health condition.)

If I didn't already have an adjustable bed, I'd get a hospital bed and a good mattress (lots of posts on mattresses.)

I go to clinic every three months and a local neuro every other month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back