Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks. I have ordered my medical records for my retirement disability, so when i pick those records up, I will review them and print those records which show my dx and then make an appt at social security and go down them to file my appeal.

My long-term disability company said, if I got denied, they would help me. It's in their best interest because the amount reduces by the social Security benefit amount. I had more trouble with my long-term disability company approving me than with SSDI. Once they saw I was approved by SSDI the approved me retroactively. Either way, you are entitled and your Medicare benefits should start March 1, if you quit in September. Your first SSDI check will be in April.

thanks. I have ordered my medical records for my retirement disability, so when i pick those records up, I will review them and print those records which show my dx and then make an appt at social security and go down them to file my appeal.

Did you ever make any headway with the SSDI process? My application has been in since Dec and so far nothing back.

Bruce

Did you ever make any headway with the SSDI process? My application has been in since Dec and so far nothing back.

Bruce

Bruce, You should check online. I found out I was approved long before I received their letter.

Bruce, You should check online. I found out I was approved long before I received their letter.

Thanks Kim. It say a medical decision has been made. But nothing to indicate for or against. I'll keep checking for updates I guess. The wheels of government don't turn too fast :-D

I went through the same thing. I was denied and they listed in your denial are the same for me. Call the National ALS Association. They have a group of attorneys that deal with this very issue. They are based in Tampa FL. they do not charge you anything. They are a privately funded organization that deals with 5 diseases ALS being one of them.

Patrick

This is really cut and dry when it comes to SS... you need a diagnostic code of 335.20 for a confirmed diagnosis of ALS. Ask your doctor what exactly your diagnostic code is. If it is not 335.20... ask why?

Hope that helps.

Actually the ICD-10 code is G12.21. You should not be seeing the ICD-9 codes on recent records ( since late 2015)

Oooops... sorry for my mistake. Thanks Nikki for the correction. Regardless... that's what is needed for a confirmed diagnosis. As I wrote, if not... ask why.

(My diagnosis for Primary Lateral Sclerosis was before the change.)

Thanks Kim. It say a medical decision has been made. But nothing to indicate for or against. I'll keep checking for updates I guess. The wheels of government don't turn too fast :-D

Bruce, I wouldn't wait. I would call Social Security or go to a local office, if you are able.

You should be approved automatically if the dx is ALS. The important thing about the TERI provision is that you don't have the two-year wait for Medicare. You get it after five full months of disability. I went out on August 26 (my short-term/sick leave) paid me through March 9 but Medicare kicked in on February 1 and I got my first SSDI check in March.

Bruce, I wouldn't wait. I would call Social Security or go to a local office, if you are able.

You should be approved automatically if the dx is ALS. The important thing about the TERI provision is that you don't have the two-year wait for Medicare. You get it after five full months of disability. I went out on August 26 (my short-term/sick leave) paid me through March 9 but Medicare kicked in on February 1 and I got my first SSDI check in March.

I actually talked to them today. They said there were no issues with the diagnosis. They were trying to determine when my symptoms started. That was actually in the summer of 2015 but I assume the first medical documentation of it they obtained was later 2015. They said they should have it completed by Friday.

Bruce

Good news, Bruce. One less thing to worry about.

So glad that is sorted for you!

So many of us have taken it as "good news" when we have been awarded what they call "benefits." That word has never fit comfortably in my craw. How about "assistance - support - aid - subsidy - compensation - or even financial supporting grants"? (There's nothing really beneficial about any of this.) And... "good news" is really relief.

Anywhooo... in my words, it's "comforting" to read you both will be eligible for financial assistance. :) The sad news is that you (we) qualify for them. :-(

Ok, I'll disappear again for a while. :)

No I'm going to have to file an appeal. I meet with an attorney Thurs to help. I got a dr letter but the most she would state is that I have als which is a progressive disease. No details. Not sure if it will help. She thinks ss wants to see more disability before they approve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back