Status
Not open for further replies.
Diagnosis

I want to sincerely thank everyone for their posts. While I understand that the data for pregnancy after an ALS diagnosis is difficult to find, I am very appreciative for the viewpoints of other PALS who have children. It has helped me to be more confident in the decision I had already made in my heart to go ahead and try to become a mother.

I am a born arguer, so I am attempting to hold my tongue in response to the ethical opinion of another member. I would not have asked for advice had I not first considered the ethical ramifications of such a decision and had the full support of my partner, my family, and my partner's family. Everyone understands how my abilities will one day become limited and is ready and willing to support not only me, but also my child whenever that day comes. They also understand that this disease will take me one day, hopefully a a long way off, and that they will be responsible for raising my child. I couldn't ask for a more supportive circle. That is what family is for.

I started having symptoms in January of this year, just in my right hand. I'm still in the early stages of finalizing a diagnosis (waiting for 2nd & 3rd opinions), so no info has been given on what the speed of my progression is versus the "norm" (if there is one?). My writing and typing are impaired, as well as some of my duties at work - I'm an ICU nurse, but as everyone has said and as everything I've read has said, hopefully my age will help me out. My diagnosis only came from being a pain in the butt nurse to doctors I work with about my inability to start an IV. I don't know if I would have been put off longer had I not known what buttons to push on particular doctors.

Again, thank you to everyone for your positive comments. It is great to know that there is such a supportive community available. :D

-Michelle

Hi Michelle,
Let's hope that the second and third opinions come up with MMN or CIDP. Let us know how things go with the other diagnosticians please. Good luck with all that is ahead. I will pray for a nice healthy baby for you and your partner, and of course pray for you too.
Laurel

I would do what Tom suggested and read the book about the Pals lady who had a child. You are so lucky that you have a awesome support system and great husband, truth is a disease like this really starts to show there ugly side. I could no longer do what i did my whole life and it has caused so much money troubles that it turned my loving husband into a nightmare. He works and works and we are losing everything. Since you do have a diganosis i would get updated on your latest disability insurance policy... All of my famyily memebers work., so if i were to need help it would be impossible. I have two boys and would love to have a third child. I see normal people struggle with three children and i know i could not take care of all of them. A baby is so much more than you realize just like Rose stated. I remember we had a lady come to work at the childcare center who thought she was taking a break away from being a nurse. She lasted two weeks. Even though you dont know what your in for that does not mean you should not have a baby. I think the thought of your progression becoming faster does not outweigh the significance of having a baby. You will be creating a LIFE, what better control over this disease that will take yours, then to create a new human being..... Children are much more tough and smart then people give them credit for, believe me i have worked with them my whole life. You having ALS will be normal to them, this is what they will grow up knowing. They will be better prepared then the poor children who find out there mom or dad have ALS out of the blue. Go make that baby, but please do not put your baby in a daycare center! I do not know how your finances are but middle class families that have to go back to work right away and put there babies in a daycare do not realize how negative that is.. They mostly dont have a choice... All the centers in N.C. will have TEN babies in one room with two people. They have just enough time to feed and change them and thats it. Some states the ratios are different. Here in N.C. they pack the kids in...... Anyways good luck and let us know if you are expecting! Sam

Very Interesting! My wife is also a nurse, ICU and she was diagnosed 3 years ago. I've had some of the folks at the ALS clinics indicate that there seems to be a high percentage of ALS cases affecting nurses. Just from this thread alone I see 3. Has there been any studies on who seems to get affected more than others. This may be a good topic for a new thread?
Mark

Hi Michelle
I'm sorry for your diagnosis I want u to know I was only 30 when Igot als .My boy was 1 my girl was 5 now there 18 and 22 and I'm grandfather .The only advice I can give is do what makes u happy. I know its hard but keep smiling and work out. that's what I did. that was 17 year's ago. I well pray for u .My name is John.
Hears my email if u want to talk. [email protected]

Michelle,
My hat goes off to you girl! An ICU nurse, that's cool. I'm also a nurse, worked ER and ICU for about 4 yrs, then nursing management, yuk, for 3 yrs, now I'm the nurse manager for the IV room in a rheumatologist practice! Less stress, better hours, no on call!
I was diagnosed in June this year. My speach is the only thing affected thus far. Most of my patients just tell me they thought I had been drinking too much before I came to work!
you know the drill, life isn't practice, we only get one shot at it-
By the way, our boys are 18, 15 and 7, and I have about 5 weeks left and I'll have my BSN. Where there is a strong will, there is a way,
Never give up,
Never let up,
Never lose faith,
brenda

Brenda,
Big congrats on finishing your BSN and getting out of nursing management! I just started grad school in August for my MSN in forensic nursing. I thought for half a second about quitting and quickly got that notion out of my head. My school professors and administrators have been super supportive and offering all options to help me make sure I finish, hopefully by 2010.
Thank you for the positive comments!

Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back