Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Atlanta
Just wanted to give my own two cents for what it's worth. I know that ALS patients progress at different rates and many travel well after becoming disabled, but in my friend's situation this is not the case. Six months after being diagnoised and he is entirely too fatigued to make any trips (and enjoy them).

I just wanted others to know that if they find themselves in that same situation - newly diagoised and dreaming of places they still want to see - GO! Don't worry about the logistics/ legal/financial/ boring household junk - take that weekend or week and GO and enjoy it while you can. If you get the chance to travel again and again for years to come, GREAT! But if you find that you can't as time goes on, at least you won't have missed the opportunities to do and see the things you wanted to.

My sentiments exactly. We went to the Grand Canyon and Vegas. Had to be pushed in a wheelchair but not much, just the walk up and down the strip. Went on a cruise. Went skydiving. Would have liked to do that again but knew that I didn't have the strength in my arms to do it again. My doctor said make a list of the things I had wanted to do but never got around to and start doing them. I did and now I'm sure glad I did.
AL

We have done a couple cruises which work well because you only have to set up your equipment one time, but the first thing we did was an accessible tour of Australia. That was a real kick, and my father came along to help out. This rekindled our relationship, and we are much closer to this day. One of the many positive things that ALS has brought me. :-D

Mike

I agree Pearl,
This is good advice to all people, even if you are not diagnose with ALS. This is a lesson that ALS patients taught me, life is short: do what you really want to do and forget about waisting time in what you HAVE to do! I have a child and he is my priority at the moment, every second I spend with him I make sure I feel this is what I WANT to do and not what I HAVE to do. Sometimes is not about going on a trip, it is just about being present with our loved ones in our daily activitites. I am so grateful for the precious gift that my son is, I am also very grateful for my husband Daniel who is not here with me in his body but his spirit is constantly around me.
Have a good day beautiful people!
Sunny

I agree travel as much as you can I have a home in florida and take a 18 hour trip there 6x a year while I still can I will ENJOY Pat

Top notch advice Pearl!
Like Al and Mike said, cruises are a fantastic way to go. most, if not all, ships have accessible cabins. We've done a couple, the only drawback is sometimes you can't get on a launch (with a wheelchair) to go ashore at some places.

I would send my wife on a tour and make the sacrifice of staying on board by the pool drinking margaritas. (The things a guy must do:-D)

If anyone is travelling through the Rockies in the Banff area, there is a place in Kananaskis called William Watson lodge that is built for people with disabilities. They are 1, 2 and 3 bedroom cabins set right at the foot of a majestic mountain. You just bring your own linens and food and you're set.
Here's the site:
http://www.cd.gov.ab.ca/enjoying_alberta/parks/featured/kananaskis/facilities_wwlodge.asp

I'ts about $30-35 a night, probably 45 minutes from Banff and about 20 minutes from two major ski areas. Well worth it!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back