Not open for further replies.

KarstBoy

Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
04/2021
Country
US
Last week my 65 year old wife was diagnosed with ALS. To say I am profoundly sad and devastated is an understatement. We both feel as though we have been hit by a ton of bricks.

This diagnosis is so unexpected. No family history of ALS and the women in my wife's family usually live a long, full life well into their 80's and 90's. We had planned on that being the case and figured that since I am 8 years older than her, I'd be the first one to go. Life had other plans and didn't pay attention to what we thought or desired.

So now it looks like I have become a "CALS". Not a club I wanted to be a member of but I am very glad to see there is a place to share experiences in dealing with this god awful disease.

I look forward to "talking" to folks here soon.

I'm very sorry to hear this news, Karst. We will support you and your wife however we can. Give yourselves time to process and when you are ready, there are many threads here about things to do and plans to make. We're also up for any questions that you have.

In case you haven't gotten that far, job #1 is "don't fall." Make sure she has a cane or walker and/or scooter or wheelchair, if she needs it.

Best,
Laurie

Really sorry to be welcoming you here.
This link might help a little as you work through the shock this diagnosis is.
We will walk along with you for sure.

Affected & Igelb, thanks for the replies.

Thanks so much "affected" for the just diagnosed link. VERY helpful!

Ask questions as they come up, or use the search function here to see other discussions on something you are wondering about. Don't read threads that are too far advanced for you though, just ask if things are scary. We get it.

And feel free to call me Tillie, that's my nickname here as an Aussie 🤗

I too am sorry to welcome you here, but you are in the right place. A great deal of experience and many good ideas live here; most importantly, support without judgment from caring people who have actually walked the walk. You and your wife are in my prayers.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back