Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been about 3 that were a bit hard to take but that one was the worst. So with 1500 members 3 bad apples isn't bad. I'm losing my ability to type using the keyboard really fast now and am down to about 1 finger and a half. I was just talking to my OT and telling her I need a new assessent because of how much this forum and the people mean to me. David (administrator of forum) and I were talking earlier today and he said that he wants to continue this on as long as possible which suits me fine. AL.

Typing

Hello Al,
I am sorry to hear that you are having problems typing. This forum is so special and you are such an important part of it that I do not want to hear about any typing issues.
I like to mention that Daniel lost his ability to type very soon. He used a program called Naturally speaking and it worked really well for him. He wrote articles that were published and taught at the University with this program. It takes some time for the program to reconize and get use to your voice and pronunciation. The more you use it the better it works! Just a suggestion. You use a microphone and talk to the computer that translates what you said into written words. You will still have to correct a few words, but you may want to try it!
Take good care of yourself
Sunny
PS Today is my wedding anniversary - I miss Daniel so much! :cry:

Al -

You are forbidden to bow out.

Dragon Naturally Speaking is what I ended up ordering for work. Found out as soon as I tried to install it that it takes up loads of RAM space so I'm now waiting for our I.T. guys to get that set. My OT said there is definitely a learning curve with it but then you can work basically hands free including mouse control. Mine cost $199.00 but there is a less comprehensive version for $99.00 - I'm not sure if that includes the hands free mouse control. I've heard this is also something you might pick up on EBAY for less.

There is also some sort of voice recognition program that comes built into Windows which you can access with some verbal instruction from someone who knows what they are talking about (for example, not me :? ). From what I've been told it is not as good Naturally Speaking but way better than nothing and all you have to buy is a headset.

Liz

Thanks ladies. I know there are programs out there and I have an appointment with the OT on Feb. 8 and will inquire about both programs. Sorry about your sadness today Sunny but I know you have your son to help brighten your days. Hopefully the good memories will remain and the pain will lessen as time goes on. Thanks for being here at this difficult time to offer support to others. AL.

Thank you Al!
I am here and I feel very blessed to know all these people. You touch my heart every time I came here and thank you for it.
My son is amazing. He is so full of energy and joy. He is 28 months and does not talk yet. Sometimes I worry about how loosing his father has affected him, and I wait and listen for him to tell me. He is the joy of my life and keeps me real, grounded and in my heart.
The funny thing is that he looks a lot like Daniel, the same beautiful eyes!
I have learned to take a day at a time, to take every minute and live it consciously.
I am very glad you are here with us! :-D
Sunny

Oh Al. I hope you resolve the typing thing. This forum would miss you. Your friends would miss you. And it is too sad to think of how you will spend all the time that would free itself up if you had to give up being staff here! I'm keeping my ifngers crossed...Regards, Cindy

Dear Al

I go along with Cindy in hoping that you would resolve your typing issues. You are truly a SUPER moderator. The help, advice, research and honesty that you impart on these pages are invaluable and a true mirror of your soul. You are a kind and caring person Al. I hope your typing problem is only a temporary hitch and that you will be able to continue with the job that you do so well not only because of your skills but because of who you are. Thanks Al.

Anna

Hi Al: I too hope you get your typing issues resolved. You were the first one to welcome me into this forum. Through you I have learned so much about this terrible disease. You have given me much support over the past six months. This forum would not be the same without you. Anne

Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred

Hi Al et al:

Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred (DNS) is the best program. I am a teacher consultant for students with special needs, specializing in voice recognition and some other specific programs, I have worked with voice recognition since 1993. My MND or MMN, we don't know which yet. effects my right hand the most. I cannot write a check without great concentration and difficulty but I use DNS - Dragon for most of my writing. I can no longer work and even though I learned the program for students originally it is a Godsend to me. I can still use some keystrokes but when I need to I can also use the program hands free.

Do not let anyone sell you on any other voice recognition program. It now takes me 4 minutes to train a standard computer using this program. It is compatible with email and virtually every other program. You can find pretty good prices also on Amazon.com. I bought two version 7 about 2 years ago for about 20 dollars each. It is now in version 9 with version 10 probably coming out soon. As soon as the new version comes out the last one goes on big sale. Anything at or above version 7 is great.

I live in the states but would be extremely happy to help you learn this. It is not difficult but the program learns how you speak and it learns phonetically so it works best when misrecognitions are corrected right away.

I have trained students, teachers and many other adults and have tried many other programs working with all sorts of Assistive Technology. Dragon is sold as a replacement for secretaries but it can be adapted to use to help people with a variety of special needs. I will stop now but please let me know if you want some help with this. It is my specialty and if I can help it would please me much. Sincerely, Peg B

Darn you guys got me so misty eyed I could hardly type. Thanks for the input Peg. As I said I have an appointment on Feb. 8th and I'll be sure to mention the program to the OT. AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back