Reason
Other
Country
FIN
State
Pirkanmaa
City
Tampere
Hi! I'm Sophie and I have fibromyalgia and benign fasciculation syndrome. I also have finger muscle weakness due to an unknown cause, (emg next week.) I also have generalizrd anxiety disorder which disturbs my life quite a lot. I thought that since I have given many tips how to reduce anxiety, I could be able to help people who are having anxiety issues no matter if they have ALS or not.

I appreciate your willingness to help.

There is a fairly large problem tho.

This site has a great deal of knowledge, both 'live' and written, of ALS. That is the sole reason we are comfortable saying ' it doesn't sound like ALS'.

We do not claim to know anxiety, do not wish to be seen as knowing anxiety and actually encourage such 'patients' to go elsewhere.

Especially when it comes to the 'do I have ALS?' section.

How do you feel about that?

I've known people who really had ALS (statistically ALS is more common in Finland than in many other countries) and of course I felt bad when I wasn't able to help them. Of course the inner struggle and concern of ALS is real also on the people who obviously do not have the condition let alone when it comes to people who actually do have ALS.

Sohvi, our caregivers, CALS, may benefit from your knowledge, but when it comes to the visitors asking if they have ALS, the forum policy is to allow only experienced CALS and PALS to comment.

Last edited:
I think you would be much more useful on an anxiety forum or fibro forum. The fibro forums have tons of people who need help with anxiety and they present with a host of symptoms. Try helping there.

Yes Kim is right. This is not the place for anxiety management of those fearing ALS They need to move on as quickly as they can for their own good and for the good of the forum threads should be focused on the issues regarding ALS.

Since you are not a clinician I respectfully disagree that you should attempt to advise CALS as their issues are not related to the ones you have experienced. Generalized anxiety disorder is vastly different than the stress situational anxiety and anticipatory grieving that some CALS understandably experience.

If you need to start a thread in the DIHALS section related to your EMG please do( though I hope it will be reassuring )

You are kind to wish to help and I am sure there is a fibro forum that could use your experience. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back