Reason
Other
Country
US
State
New York
City
Lancaster
I just recently turned 18 and female. I started college when I was 15 and everything was going good. I'm a junior now and I've been experiencing so many problems. It first started with an eye twitch which was persistent and never went away. A few months after I started getting uncontrollable tremors in my hands. This occurred during the summer so I didn't really think it was stress from school or anxiety. During the fall of my sophomore year, a very scary attack happened. I was trying to fall asleep and my hands were shaking and my heart was beating really fast. I don't reall remember what happened exactly since I've been expericing bad memory, but I was having trouble falling asleep and I finally did around 3am. I suddenly woke up at 6am and tried getting up but I had no control over my right arm. I wasn't sleeping on it or anything it just laid there like a piece of rubber. After a few seconds I got control of it again and it was just so numb and no pain. At that moment my arm felt so heavy and I haven't regained the normal feeling of it. It's just been feeling weaker and weaker. I went to the doctors right away, they got a CAT scan and said everything was normal except my vitamin d level. So for a few months I've been on supplements and I'll finish the dosage by this week. I haven't felt better at all. Just gotten worse. Lately I've been expericing muscle spasms that are very noticeable. I have poor balance and been experiencing muscle stiffness. My arms just feel so heavy and I've been holding objects in awkward postions. Can someone please direct me in whether I could possibly have als or if it's something else?

ES, you don't have ALS. But I would suggest consulting with a clinical nutritionist about other deficiences/imbalances in your diet, which are very common in college and can cause symptoms such as you mention. Also, the best D supplementation is the sun, and as it's winter, unless your level is being rechecked, you should probably be on a low dose on an ongoing basis. The nutritionist might advise on that as well.

If that doesn't help, as you had/have a problem with movement, I would see a neurologist for electrodiagnostic testing for your peace of mind. And as I would say to most students, fill your own prescription for outdoors, fun & whatever relieves stress for you.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks Laurie! Makes me feel a lot better. I haven't mentioned some of the other symptoms that i have been feeling, like burning sensations on my arms and trembling legs as i walk down a flight of stairs but I will continue to see my doctor and check if my vitamin D levels are back in check. I'm currently in medical school and learning about different diseases and genetic mutations just scares the crap out of me! IDk maybe i'm just too young to make better judgments but I really love what I'm learning and my goal is to find cures for incurable diseases like ALS but i know i have a long way to go.

Twitching is too common to be diagnostic of anything.
Sensory issues (numbness, burning) aren't associated with ALS onset.
Read the sticky titled PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. Take note of the comments on age.

I did but i was watching a youtube video about a girl being diagnosed at the age of 16! Which got me thinking and anxious...I'm sorry I just had to ask ):

Don't know the specific video but the only cases I have seen of teenagers are FALS. Completely different scenario

Yeah you can just search it on youtube, the youngest patient with ALS. I've just been having so much anxiety from doing research online which I've been told multiple times not to but its so tempting.

"I've just been having so much anxiety from doing research online"

"I'm currently in medical school and learning about different diseases and genetic mutations just scares the crap out of me!"

Well, we know it isn't ALS.
And we do know it is anxiety.
So please leave a donation on your way out.

PS: While you're in med school, try not to get ALL of the diseases.

Of course. Donations are always helpful! We are very close to finding a treatment because of all the ice bucket challenges. But the problem is getting an FDA approved drug will take several more years.

You're preachin' to the choir, lass.

We're pretty aware of the state of ALS research. 8^|

You're right I'm sorry...I'll be on my way out now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back