Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Kissimmee
Hi - i am new to this; i have not been diagnosed with MND, but my brother in the UK has...he was recently diagnosed about 3 months ago, and since then he has been feeling more effects...i am having a very hard time with this as i do not know what to do. I am so far away, he has my mum and my sister and his family there, but how do i support him? How can i help him? I am just at a loss, and i don't know how to handle it all...i just feel sick to my stomach.

thank you for listening.

auduk,

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's diagnosis. It is understandable that you feel helpless, being so far away from the U.K. and family but there are things you can do that will be helpful.

I would suggest regular correspondence by post and a personal phone call every now-and-again. When you write, try not to put too much emphasis on his health and keep him updated on how and what you are doing. People may not like to be reminded they are sick, especially if they are having a "good" day.

By keeping in touch, this will help your feelings of detachment and will be a blessing to your brother as well.

Just some thoughts.

Zaphoon

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your suggestions. That will be a great help, and you're absolutely right, when i call or talk to him, i tend to focus on his health...but i have so much more to tell him...thank you so much, i really do appreciate it.

Auduk
My husband has ALS and his family is in another state. He has several siblings that do not even call. He hasn't been able to speak for quite a while now but they could call me and ask how we are. Instead they hear information from the few family members that I do communicate with. Call him often and ask how he is and let him know what is going on with you. Let him know you are there for him and that if he needs anything you will try to help him. I know that would mean a lot to me. Take care.

Auduk....I live in london and we have a home in Kissimmee (34746) and will be over there Nov 3rd for 5 weeks. Please PM me so we can maybe get in touch, either via email or in person in Kissimmee...not the telephone, I find it TOOOO hard to talk on the phone. As for your brother in the UK...maybe I can help him with things he can do, people he can contact to make life more comfortable. I have learnt fast who to ask for help.....Jennifer51

Hi Jennifer and thank you. Could you tell me what you mean by PM you? I added you as a friend, but i don't even know where to look to see if you accepted or not. Anyway...i would soooooo love to get in contact with you. I live in area code 34743 which i know is not that far from your home. Let me know how i can get in contact with you, and thank you again for your support. My brother is having a hard time; i try to speak with him at least once a week; he is trying to be strong but i know he is struggling, but he won't ask for help. Anyway...let me know how to PM you.

Cheers
Aud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back