Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
iowa
City
ankeny
I'm not absolutluely certain when my neurological problems started. All I do know is that they became more pronounced after I had back surgery in 2004. Currently, my symptoms include severe muscle rigidity, cramps and spasms in my torso, neck, hands, feet and legs. I also have bilateral Babinski Sign. I have frequent episodes of fasciculations in my legs, torso, arms and face. If I have been on my feet a lot during the day my legs feel tired and weak. My grip strength has weakened over the past year. When examined by my neurologists they say I show no signs of muscle atrophy. The neurologists tell me that I have a neurological condition yet to be determined, but they have talked to me about PLS. Does anyone with PLS have similar symptoms?

Hi Mitchel and welcome to the forum, though I am sorry you had to seek us out. We have quite a few folks with PLS here so I am sure you will be able to make some good connections. Glad you decided to join us! Cindy

hello mitchel

yes they sure sound like umn/pls symptoms that we all have and then some.
pls is determined after all tests rule out other things and then you are watched for 3-5yrs as to your progression before a definate diagnosed of pls is reached.
some have (due to how rare pls is and incompetant neuro's) not got a diagnosed for many many years,but your neuro sounds like he is clued up on pls.
try not to worry too much(easier said than done). and feel free to ask any questions.
there is lots of info in the threads to read up on that may help you.
take good care
caroline:-D

Thank you for your kind response. I'm glad I came accross this site, so I may visit with others who struggle with this disease. Thankfully, I have the support of my wife and family. It's hard sometimes to see them have to deal with this disease as well. I have learned to make the best of this situtation and stay positive about the future. I am sure we will have more to visit about in the future.

Best wishes,

Mitch

Hello Caroline

My previous post reply was also a thank you to you as well. Please bear with me as I fiqure things out. Is it true that some neurologists in Great Britain are now of the opinion that the window from upper motor neuron/lower motor neuron to both is ten years?

Hello Mitchel,

My PLS symptoms also became more pronounced after I had back surgery in 2002. For a long time, I thought my symptoms (classic PLS symptoms) were a result of a failed back surgery (we've all heard the horror stories). I went back to my orthopedic in 2006 because everyone kept telling me that I walked funny. He did some nerve and reflex tests and was astonished at the results. He insisted that I see a neuro right away because something was seriously wrong.

I was diagnosed with PLS in 01/07 after seeing Dr. Stanley Appel. One of the intern's said that surgery can play a roll in the progression of the disease. I blame it on the anesthesia. I had a hard time waking up after the surgery and I was in alot of pain which is very uncommon. I also spent four days in the hospital instead of just one day.

hello I'm new too

Hi all!
I am new to the post and not sure how to follow. I was diagnoised with ALS in 2006 and have upgraded so to speak this year to PLS. your information and some of the answers are very intriguing. I have not had back surgery but I have had both a spinal and an epidural for abdominal surgery. I had multiple complications in the form of fever chills, headache, and back ache after the epidural. I am not using this as aforum to blame but I am desperate to find out if their is any reseach going on out thier to see if there is any possible link between this medical procedure and PLS or ALS. If any has any knowledge of research on this topic please feel free to contact me at my home email address [email protected].
thanks for sharing your story,
katsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back