Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
pennsylvania
City
pittsburgh
I had an appointment with a neurologist, and after testing my reflexes, etc. he had asked me to have some muscle tests done, EMGs. Most of my muscles seemed ok but for the thigh muscle he mentioned that it had "decreased recruitment". I know that the tests where he stuck the needle in the muscle and listened were ok, no noise. But for this one he mentioned the recruitment and I was too nervous to ask for more explanation.

I'm also having tons of bloodwork done (myasthenia, thyroid, etc.) and the neurologist will explain everything at my next appointment, but I'm wondering about the EMG and I have to wait now to have it explained.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hello lil flower

Decreased recruitment means that when your muscle is stimulated a smaller number of muscle fibers are activated than in "normal" conditions. During the EMG, you were probably asked to contract your muscle while the needle was inserted into your muscle, which should have increased the number of muscle fibers that were activated to a "normal" level and for whatever reason, that didn't happen in your case. Don't let it worry you because it might not mean much. Sit tight and let your neuro do all of the tests he/she needs to do.

Take care and ask us more questions if you feel the need.

thanks wright,

that is a great explanation and I'll take your advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back