New to forum/travel wheelchair question

Status
Not open for further replies.
One advantage of the lighter weight chairs is that they usually fold for safe plane travel (you probably have to carry on lithium-ion batteries). That way you don't have to entrust your full sized power chair to the airlines.

Ed

MupstateNY- I meant money is no object. Stupid autocorrect!
We had an in home PT assessment on Mondayband she suggested a lightweight manual chair with large rear wheels, so I think we’ll start shopping. We have so many trips we want to take while we can! We’re not close to the point of needing a power chair, yet.

Sounds good. Our borrowed transport chair is definitely lightweight, but I had to add a back cushion to fix the shape. Larger wheels would definitely be helpful. I would make sure it has a lap belt.

I borrowed a budget transport chair from the ALSA for a few trips before buying a Karman Ergo Flight ultralight wheelchair with larger back wheels for more comfort. The Karman is more comfortable and easier to push for the CALS. It also folds for travel and storage. My wife and I took it on two Viking cruises with no problems.

We received a transport wheelchair from the NC ALS society loaner closet today. It was even deli to our door. It wasn’t exactly what I was looking for (it’s more of a transfer chair, not a manual chair) but we’ll give it a try. If it doesn’t work out, we can exchange it for another one. The local ALS society is a wonderful resource!

Have enjoyed my Airhawk for 5–6 months, but now unable to transfer out of it because my arms can’t lift me from the seat to standing position. Now using big chair purchased with my insurance company.

I was leg onset. Back in 2016 I was able to buy a new Ti lite arrow Z new on eBay for $965. They were ordered by someone who never picked them up. I don't think they do that anymore but you can get a used one. It was under 30lbs and the wheels popped off making it easy to put in the front or back seat of my Corolla.
It was money well spent for me. For two years I was able to transfer myself into the car and onto furniture. It was great to be able to propell myself around the house and to the bathroom. I would give anything for that level of independence today! When I was unable to use it I sold it for $275 to a nice guy who had lost his leg. It was really fun popping wheelies and getting good at zipping around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back