Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Citrus Heights
Last night my husband fell and for the first time we were not able to get him back up. Had to call 911. While the guys who came were fabulous, we'd rather find a service that we can call to come and help. Or is that not available? I've spent several hours searching for this type of service, but everything I find seems to just call 911 for you?

I don't know of any. You need an electric Hoyer lift. You can most likely borrow one from your local ALS association for as long as you need it.

hi, there certainly are services available.
I have care link,its there for if i need emergency assistance.
I have a main box/intercom in the hallway then a hand pull in the corner of each room.
Sometimes i knock into my hallway one,the control centre are calling my name within 30 seconds.
They also do a pendant/neclace device you can wear.

I did look to see if they do such a service in the usa and they do......

Home automation for the elderly and disabled - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you are in california? This link shows the do emergency response systems.
Maybe give them a call,they will be able to tell you of a suitable service.
http://www.aging.ca.gov/Programs/

Last edited:
Hi. I have a neck signal that even activates if I'm knocked unconscious, but they just call 911 for me and the same responders come. Don't know if this is due to being in a relatively small city, but you might check with your local ALS association to see if there's an alternative where you live.

If there is a local firestation you can call them and they will come. You may have to get the stations phone number.

Hi,

You definitely need a Hoyer Lift.
Having one at home would save you the hassle of having to call 9-1-1 whenever your husband falls (I'm hoping this doesn't happen anymore but, falls are so common on PALS who still ambulate).

A Hoyer Lift can help you get him up from the floor if he falls, can also help you transfer him safely from bed to a wheelchair, from a wheelchair to a car, from a wheelchair to bed, from the shower to bed, etc.
They are expensive but...you can loan one from your Local Chapter of the ALS Association (ALSA) and, they can get it for you at not cost from their "Loaner Closet" and you can have it at home as long as you and your husband need it. Just contact your local ALSA.

I hope this helps.

NH

Thank you all,
Your suggestions have been very helpful. My husband had an in home therapy appointment and they worked with his physician who wrote a prescription for a hoyer lift. We're waiting for delivery now.

Bridget

P.S. We also have an appointment tomorrow at the Forbes Norris - MDA / ALS Research and Treatment Center in San Francisco. Hoping for a definitive diagnosis.

Good luck, at Forbes Norris, they are great. Park in the garage( across the street, not affiliated with the hospital)and ask the receptionist for a voucher for a discount in the parking. Also, take a lunch and drinks with you, you will be in for a long day. As far as calling for a lift assist from 911, that is what you pay taxes for. It is a service you already paid for!

I was unpleasantly surprised when I received a bill for ambulance service from the County after a vehicle accident.
Are you charged when the paramedics come via 911?

No, you shouldn't be charged, it's called a lift assist. Call and check with your local service. It is also a good idea to let them know when you have ALS, or any serious illness, especially one that affects your voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back