Reason
Other
Country
US
State
ga
City
woodstock
I'm new to this forum and as you can imagine don't want to be here.
I may be one of those Internet type doctors (not a md) who researches and researches then erroneously convinces myself it's ALS. I really hope so.
I'm here researching for my wife, who is unaware that her condition may be ALS. She has developed a slurred/tight speech over the last 9 to 10 months. No other symtoms. She has had 3 negative MRI's, has seen a Throat ear and nose doctor (all negative ) and a neurologist. The neurologist has said "it may not be neurological but wants more testing. MG, Lupus, Lymes and thyroiad have been eliminated. She has celiac disease and is on a gluten free diet. She had extensive dental work years ago and our new dentist has indicated the teeth may affect her speech but how much she can't say. I have researched Celiac Ataxi but get a sense it's nonsense. (comments welcome)
I'm a complete wreck, looking for answers, advice or just comments. Definitely looking for prays.

Doesn't sound like ALS to me, but let the neuro finish his testing and have him give you an answer.

I would definitely follow up with the neurologist as Dusty7 suggested. What you describe does not sound like ALS and it is definitely not what I have experienced.

Rick

hey Dusty and Rick,Thanks for your comments . I know weren't doctors but if you don't mind telling me how your symtoms were different. I've don't some research and I can't see how someone can develop a speech disorder that's not neurological and in the absence of diseases already ruled out that it's not ALS. We have an appointment at Emory but not for 5 months. Also, any know or comments on Celiac Ataxi ? Thanks again. (God bless you)

From what I have learned Gluten/Celiac Ataxia is related to balance issues, and unsteady gait. I have read an article where celiac disease affected a patient in terms of loss of coordination, muscle fasics and brain fog as well. Celiac has been known to cause neuropathy-like symptoms in some patients. But I definately do not have any extensive knowledge about this.

Ill fitting dentures can affect your speech, but to get clarity your wife should see a dentist, and get a referral to a neurologist.

I noticed muscle loss in my left hand and the walking I had foot drop. Then I went to see my GP.

Bilateral foot drop, atrophy of left calf, inability to stand on heels or toes, inability to plantar flex right ankle.

is a speech disorder for 10 months without any other symtoms typical for ALS?

>is a speech disorder for 10 months without any other symtoms typical for ALS?

I am not sure was common symptoms are. It is hard to diagnose and there are few demographics other than 2x incidence in vets.

IMO, the best bet is to get a referral to a proper ALS clinic for a thorough diagnostic review. *and* stay off of sites like this that may fuel an anxiety fire.

JMO, FWIW,

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back