Learn about ALS
Country
ROU
State
Romania
City
Bucharest
<Mod note: previous thread>

Hello again! My symptoms with right hand and right leg weakness are kind of the same, nothing worse, nothing better. What intrigues me is that for three weeks now I have had a lump in my throat feeling and mild dysphagia (feeling food is stuck in my throat and I have to make an additional effort to pass it down). Also, I feel that my speech isn’t the same as it was before (I find it hard to finish sentences, my voice is a little bit hoarse, I pronounce “s” differently). I’ve seen posters around here that said bulbar onset can present initially with lump in throat feeling accompanied by slurred speech. That’s why I’m very worried. I only ran some blood tests, my CK levels are normal. My tongue movement is fine.
Do you believe I should see a neurologist? Only thing that calms me is that bulbar onset is extremely rare in young age (although I did read about 30 something or 40 years old persons that have it). Thank you a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone else noticed your speech issues consistently, there could be an issue, but your own feelings are never going to point to bulbar sx in and of themselves. Anxiety and stress are very commonly associated with the feelings you describe. If you need to see a neuro for reassurance, you have that ability, but we will do not see a picture suggesting MND of any sort.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your reply! Thing is that being a doctor, I relate these symptoms to my colleagues and they all say "you're a doctor, you're hypochondriac because you see all kinds of diseases around you etc etc". Even when I'm with my friends and have a couple of drinks I still feel that lump in my throat, so it's not anxiety based. As I said, I'm only 27 and it would be very early for bulbar..but I don't know.. Maybe I will schedule myself for an EMG. Also, I think it's good news that my CK levels are normal, although CK can be normal in 30-50% of cases..

I've just read some older posts and I've noticed that their early symptoms are exactly like mine. The slightest swallowing issues, slurred speech imperceptible to others, hypersalivating and twitches everywhere in their body. So nothing that resembles what is said in the stickies: that first comes slurred speech that everybody notices, then "real" swallowing problems. Everything seemed to be very subtle and similar to my symptoms regarding these posters..I'm even more scared now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back