Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
DC
City
Washington
I posted in another thread that I noticed generalized twitching, happening all day about every couple of minutes at least, usually more, and once, all day, twitching in my left quad. Well, today, I went to my neurologist at the Jefferson Headache Center for my rare headache disorder and asked him about my symptoms and he gave me the standard reflex and strength tests. It turns out that my quads are weak. In retrospect, I've noticed that my legs have felt funny for a few months maybe, but I didn't know how to characterize them. Weak might be the word, not sure, but my quads definitely felt strange. Now I know why.

Basically, does anyone know of another reason as to why my quads may be weak that might not be ALS? as far as I'm concerned, it seems like it's a 100% match. Weakness in my muscles that appeared to precede the twitching. I'm seeing a dr here in DC on wednesday at GW hospital for it specifically. Any help appreciated as I've never been more scared in my life. I'm a 30 yr old male.

One more thing

The dr mentioned a possibility about my thyroid as he noticed some problems with my eye and some shakiness with my hands that could indicate a thyroid problem and thought that maybe that was what was causing my muscle problem as well. I doubt that, since my eye had been like that, a large pupil, for a long time, same with the unsteady hand, while the weak quad is new. I had the headache disorder for a year now and went to numerous neurologists before, then one in Philly less than a year ago when he would have done the same examination at first and I don't remember having that problem then.

Hi there. It is very nerve-wracking to be faced with all this uncertainity, but we are none of us doctors here and even at the best ALS clinic it may take a few months to get to the bottom of things. Unfortunately there is no test for ALS specifically. Your symptoms could also be due to lots of other diseases that mimic ALS and hopefully it will be one of those. It is hard to find the strength to remain calm but the alternative is to get yourself all in knots. Have faith that the clinic will provide good answers. Regards, Cindy

re headaches

Just curious what type of headache you have. I never had any headaches in my life and one year before I got sick i had a headache that never went away. It is a pressure headache on my right side. I went through sinus surgery they thought maybe it was that but it did not fix. Now I am sure I have mnd and am only waiting diagnosis. I just noticed your headache problem it made me think of myself. I tried to pm you but i think with these new rules you do not have this handy feature yet.

it's called new daily persistent headache. Not much is known about it. Pretty much same as you. No real headaches then one year ago woke up with one, had stomach issues as well, and I finally got both somewhat under control literally one month ago. Less pain and nausea and I was starting to enjoy my life again and then this happens. I am just so scared. I'm 30, not married, just out of law school and still have so much that I want to experience and it doesn't appear that I will. I'm on my way to my sisters wedding now and am dreading it as I need to somehow keep myself together for this but I don't know if I can. Sorry for the rant

Rant away, that's one of the reasons we are here. I hope you are able to relax soon. You will feel much better, no matter what is wrong. Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back