Reason
PALS
Country
CA
State
NS
City
Halifax
Hi everyone, I check in once a while to see what's going on but don't login a lot.

My Dad, 67, was 'officially' diagnosed about a year and half ago with ALS. He had been having symptoms for about four years but didn't say anything for the first two. My mom passed away suddenly from aortic stenosis about six weeks after we found out, so the last 18mths have been a big change.

My Dad's outlook has been good. He finds the humour in whatever happens and has a wonderful group of friends who still cherish his company because of his outlook. Don't get me wrong there is frustration and disappointment in the things that he can no longer do at times but for the most part he concentrates on what he can do . . . his positive attitude makes such a difference.

I am constantly surprised at the number of people that are diagnosed with ALS. I don't know if I was just oblivious to it before but the more people I talk to the more I hear of other people knowing someone who was diagnosed with ALS. I have to say that the people involved with the ALS community are wonderful, our local ALS society has been great as a source of information and support. I want to say Thank you to all of you out there who support the cause.

Hi Deb

Hi Deb:

Thanks for your post "another Story". I read it and was happy to hear of your Dad's great attitude. It was another reminder that although this disease is horrible and brings alot of tears to our life, A good attitude and a little humour will help us along.

Each day I try to keep a good attitude. Sometimes it is hard, but it is getting easier.

Thanks again

Barb :)

Hi Deb. We're the forgotten few. Nobody talks about us much. I too am amazed at the number of people that when I say I have ALS they say Oh hey I knew someone with that. There s usually an uncomfortable silence and I will say, How long did they last? They usually stammer a bit and tell me whatever length of time it was. Until I brought it up no one talks about it. We need to be more vocal. When I am in a store or wherever and I am fumbling with my wallet trying to get my money out I say ,please bear with me I have ALS and my hands don't work as well as they used to. Most times they just say that's OK but sometimes they ask what's ALS and then they get my 3 minute short course on ALS. More people need the short course. Don't be ashamed of what we have. Tell it like it is. It's not our fault. It's our fault for not making it known so people know and care. It's all about caring. People care about kids with diabetes and 100 other diseases. It's time we made them aware of us so that they care. People will care IF THEY KNOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back