New Research Please Read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fascinating! Especially to those of us who believe a virus triggered the disease. Is anyone out there who had his spleen removed prior to onset of symptoms?

Great news for future PALS!

no spleen, but had a strange lyme-like virus (negative for lyme numerous times) and then started developing symptoms...

With this knowledge plus the fact that there are no effective tratments I think they should give drugs that regulates the monocytes to the pals (drugs that already exists) and see the clinical outcomes instead of waiting (again) many years before trying it...

Ceftriaxone has been available for other diseases for a long time. Crazy that it was pulled after several years of being in trial stage for ALS.

There's a link being studied between the Epstein Barr virus ("mono") and ALS. Mono impacts the spleen, from what I understand, though I'm not clear on exactly how, or to what extent. I had mono at age 24. At age 32 I started developing as-yet-undiagnosed motor symptoms. I wonder how many PALS or those with similar diseases had mono or one of the other epstien-family viruses prior to onset of symptoms. I guess we could all drive ourselves crazy trying to pinpoint where it started... Good thing the scientists who are actually qualified to look into this stuff are on top of it. It definitely feels like there's something big about to be discovered soon.

Hopefully real soon.

With this knowledge plus the fact that there are no effective tratments I think they should give drugs that regulates the monocytes to the pals (drugs that already exists) and see the clinical outcomes instead of waiting (again) many years before trying it...

What are these drugs?

the worst virus i ever had was the flu...but i wasnt sick at all in the 3 yrs pre-diagnosis -- not even a cold.

Susan,

Your story sounds like mine. I had the swine flu October of 09, in bed for a week. I used to get bronchitis 2x/year in April and October...Have not had one single cold since I had the swine flu. Then my symptoms began 4/11.

Thanks for sharing this promising news!

I do firmly believe they will find a cure or at least a way to really slow down this horrible disease soon........It's all I have ever thought about since I was a kid and my grandfather had ALS, now, with my 45 year old husband diagnosed I can only think positive thoughts!

Jennifer

that's great news, but does that mean those who have their spleen removed will not develop ALS or will have slower progression? just like those with myasthenia Gravis who have their thymus removed?

Well if they can't find a cure right now, I will take slowing the progression down until they do. Since I started reading on the disease almost a year ago, it does seem like they are making some progress here. I hope for all our sakes, they give us something soon. God Bless Us All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back