Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveo

Hello,

I am 43, married, two kids 12 and 15 and was told by a nuerologist two days ago that he was 90% sure I had ALS. I have an EMG next week and had blood test yesterday.

I went to the neurologist for slurred speech and coughing- which is something my wife and I have only noticed. Other than those symtpons I thought I was in ok shape. Needless to say I was in shock and almost passed out when he told me. Last two days have been extremely difficult for me as I have been very sad.

I coach my son's basketball team. I have not told him anything about my diagnosis yet. BTW, he is 12. I coached practice last night and that seem to lift my spirits, I really thought I would break down and cry and have to leave practice but surprisely I felt 100 times better after practice. I did not expect this considering how low I felt.

I still play soccer, basketball - active but I'm not a twenty years old either. I even ran two miles after the diagnosis just to try to calm down.

So now I am on the internet looking for infomation on ALS. I am happy I have found this forum. I have spent many hours over the last few days reading post.

expect to hear from me as I'm sure I'll have many questions to post as I try to figure out my next step foreward.

Last edited:
Hi Daveo. Sorry you had to find us but glad you are here. You are not alone. There are lots of people here that can help with information and support. It is a shock to get this diagnosis and may take a while to really sink in. When you need anything just ask. Good luck. Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back