Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveo

Hello,

I am 43, married, two kids 12 and 15 and was told by a nuerologist two days ago that he was 90% sure I had ALS. I have an EMG next week and had blood test yesterday.

I went to the neurologist for slurred speech and coughing- which is something my wife and I have only noticed. Other than those symtpons I thought I was in ok shape. Needless to say I was in shock and almost passed out when he told me. Last two days have been extremely difficult for me as I have been very sad.

I coach my son's basketball team. I have not told him anything about my diagnosis yet. BTW, he is 12. I coached practice last night and that seem to lift my spirits, I really thought I would break down and cry and have to leave practice but surprisely I felt 100 times better after practice. I did not expect this considering how low I felt.

I still play soccer, basketball - active but I'm not a twenty years old either. I even ran two miles after the diagnosis just to try to calm down.

So now I am on the internet looking for infomation on ALS. I am happy I have found this forum. I have spent many hours over the last few days reading post.

expect to hear from me as I'm sure I'll have many questions to post as I try to figure out my next step foreward.

Last edited:

Al

Moderator emeritus
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
City
NW of Toronto
Hi Daveo. Sorry you had to find us but glad you are here. You are not alone. There are lots of people here that can help with information and support. It is a shock to get this diagnosis and may take a while to really sink in. When you need anything just ask. Good luck. Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.