Status
Not open for further replies.

jack

Hi there,
Just browsing and very much surprised by the support that some of you guys are giving to complete strangers. I hope that i get the same kind of response. It is funny how niave and egnorant we are when it comes to diseases.
I did not know one thing about ALS until my father was diganosed 2 years ago. It has been very hard to except hearing this sort of news. I have come to terms and realize that time is short for him. My mother does not want to except this disease, I know how hard it is for her being my fathers caregiver, all the family is out of province living. I have been trying to get her to read the ALS manual, she refuses saying that she would rather not know and wants to take one day at a time. I pity her for her lack of knowledge and not knowing what to expect with this disease that is soon going to take my fathers life.

Hi Jack welcome to the site you are right there are alot of good people here ready to lend support when needed. We all have a connection of sorts with this horrible disease and know the course it takes and the pain the suffers and their family members go through. Caregiving is a 24 hour job and it is hard to watch the person you love so much go through what als eventually takes from them.

I am sorry your mom is in denial perhaps that is the only way she allows herself to still have hope for your dad. It is good that you are reaching out to learn more and hopefully be there for your parents when they need you. How is your dad's condition, and do you have outside help for your mom with caretaking needs. There are many community resources that are available through the clinic and the als society for her when she needs extra support. Please let her know about us in case she would like a shoulder to lean on many good people here to help listen and reach out to offer advice or empathy. joy

Thanks Joy

Thanks for your reply, Joy
My dad's condition since first being diagnosed has not been that bad. His left arm was the first to go and right now his right arm is getting very weak to the point where he can't hold a coffee cup. He started a new drug since being diagnosed and as well as taking meds for acne and ghout, which seems to be slowing down the progression. He does not have any pain or problems breathing or talking, thank God

Welcome Jack

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the group. I was my mom's caregiver for two years, learned lots of things I never thought I would need to learn, so if I can help in any way don't be shy.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad and your mom. I think sometimes denial is the only way people can cope. I think maybe in time she will get past that.

Take care, Sonia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back