Diagnosis
12/2016
Country
US
State
Florida
City
West Melbourne
Just found this site in my research of what I have come to believe is ALS. My symptoms started 18 months ago with slurred speech. After a beer or two I would sound like I was trashed and my wife accused me on numerous occasions of drinking too much. When it started happening without alcohol she realized something else was up. I had an MRI and CAT scan done per our family DR and nothing apparent surfaced.

Over the next few months I started having swallowing issues. My tongue just didn't seem to work right. My gag reflex started to get pretty crazy. I went to a neurologist and following blood work, he said I had thyroid issues and started me on medication. That did nothing. I had some emotional issues where I would cry at sad commercials like humane society commercials etc ��. I was diagnosed with depression and started on medications that helped mask the emotional roller coaster.

After a year, I started getting twitches in my leg muscles and cramps in my legs primarily at night in bed. I was referred to another neurologist who did a EMG of my tongue related to the speech issues and diagnosed me with Progressive Spastic Dysarthria. He said he didn't think it was ALS because of the slow progression.

While I still walk my dog twice a day for an hour or two up hills here in TN and play golf twice a week, I can feel a difference in my legs lately. I am tired most of the time now and am currently taking two naps a day. I also feel that my breathing has become very shallow and I get winded easy. But I also recover quickly. I do a lot of work on the house and lately my hands have been cramping real bad and almost feel like they are locking up. Not sure I have read about this particular association with ALS.

I do have an appointment scheduled with the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville later this month. I have been doing a lot of research on ALS for the last few months and recently found this site. I am also retired military. Thanks for letting me rant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Chief just saying hi to a new name hope all goes well for you. Keep us informed and up to date on any developments, we sincerely care. Good luck.
Al

From what you report, sounds more like pseudobulbar palsy to me though ALS is also possible, some other syndromes as well.. I imagine Mayo will do a limb EMG and redo the tongue EMG. I'm sorry you have to be here/go there but happy that you appear to be progressing slowly. Welcome.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for the welcome and comments......I guess 😜 The Mayo has already scheduled an EMG during my visit. Just want answers like everyone else. Will update following the appt.

Regards,
Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back