PALS
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Ponoka
Hello,

I am new to this web site. It looks interesting. I am not new to this disease, as I was diagnosed in 2000. Is there anyone else like my symptoms. Let me describe myself. I started with weakness in my legs in year 2000. Was diagnosed to have ALS, or possibly PLS, by virtue of the EMG. I am now in a power chair, with limited use of legs and arms. I still have muscles, and my biggest problem is spasticity. I'm on baclofen for this and stretching also helps. My love volume is not 100% anymore and I sometimes have difficulty talking. If I'm not sitting up properly, and I cannot get enough wind to talk. I go to a warm pool, three times a week to work out. This pool is 90°C, and I'm rolled into it in a wheelchair. I have two assistants and a light jacket on. The warm waters relaxes my spasticity, and I'm able to start moving my arms and legs. In the parallel bars of able to walk and do deep knee bends. It feels so good to stretch out my legs this way. I then swim with my head in the water. I poll with my arms as best I can as my legs won't work at all in this position. My assistant will take me up for air. When I quit stroking, as I cannot get my head out on my own. This gives me a really good cardiovascular workout. I get really panting and taking deep breaths. I'd then go to the wall, and my assistant hold my hands on the wall. I then do push-ups on the wall. The more I do, the more it seems that I'm able to do. I worked very hard in the pool, the largest range of motion exercises. But it really seems to be helping. Is this unique to me? It seems like in the pool I'm able to activate my muscles. If I go out couple weeks without it. I can do absolutely nothing other than sit in the power chair essentially a quadriplegic After being in the pool, however, I can actually walk with a walker and do a few things with my arms. And it seemed to wake up my chest. So I have good strength to talk I apologize for the mistakes. I am making your because I'm using NaturallySpeaking program, and my headmouse. I am sure there without the pool therapy I would be her terrible state with a muscles wasted away and without any strength. It very much improves my attitude as well. Can anyone identify? Would love to hear from you.

Vet

Welcome vet. I wish I was able to still swim. I can still walk but because of bad chest/diaphram muscles I can't even sit in a hot tub. As soon as the water is chest high I can't breathe. I miss my scuba diving. I guess if I found a positive pressure regulator I might be able to try it again. I'm not sure if they even make such a thing. Take care. AL.

Thanks for your response

Thanks for your response Al,

So you used to scuba dive that sound like great fun. I always used to swim, but never did scuba dive. Sorry you're not able to anymore. But then there are so many things we could be sorry about if we really wanted to. But if you're like me, you focus on what you can do not on what you can't. I am very thankful that I can still get at the pool. I will deal with that day to when I can't. Do what we can, while we can and don't give an inch until its taken that's my motto. I commend you for your responses Al. I see your responses after a lot of these sites.

Hi Vet. You should read my posting about lawn mowing. Who says you can't have fun with ALS. Who needs scuba when you can do full contact lawn mowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back