04/2019
Country
UK
State
EX
City
Brentwood
Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum, and new to the disease. Diagnosed (eventually) in April this year(2019) I have had the symptoms for about four years.
But, before we get into all of that. I need to clear a couple of things that might come back to bite ones posterior.
1. Are you guys comfortable with a Brit in the mix?
2. I do not follow soccer, therefore I am completely unbiased as to the result of the match tonight in Lyon.

May I contribute???

Oh, I'm being asked to enable push notifications. What's this?

Thank you in advance,

Ben

Welcome

Certainly you are welcome. Some of our most loved members have been Brits. We are mostly North American but have people from all over including Down Under.

We are fairly tolerant of differing sports loyalties so no worries

We look forward to getting to know you.

Push notification have to do with you being actively informed about messages replies and such. Things not to your liking can be adjusted in the menu that appears when you click on your user name on the right near the top.

I have a number of cousins in the UK ( born in US but British parent) always happy to have one more!

I love that this forum is internationally used.

Diversity is what gives this forum our strength. We have people from all over the world and all kinds of different backgrounds.
Welcome!

Hi Nikki J,
I'll assume you speak for the majority, so thank you all for welcoming me aboard.

I will get to placing an image up there, but be warned. I have been likened to a chewed toffee.

May I introduce myself.
I am 64 this year, and I was diagnosed ALS on April 3rd this year. Although the symptoms have been evident for 4 years. Up until August of last year(2018) the symptoms had remained in just the left leg. It was only when the right leg developed the same symptoms that tests started on a possible diagnosis of MND or similar. Up until August the general theory was a trapped nerve. Directed testing from August to April confirmed ALS.
I will post a new thread detailing how I hope the knowledge and experience of the members. Along with the fresh enthusiasm of a recently diagnosed new member, could create alternative areas of research. Research that we could do with the help of an algorithm. Any geeks among the members?
Ben

Welcome Ben. Sorry to have to welcome you but your at the right place to get answers.

Welcome Ben. I also started with the left lower leg, followed soon after by the right leg. The fun never stops with ALS.

Glad you found us though. International members rare always welcome.

Welcome! We all need to become more diverse! I await fresh and interesting perspectives from you and all our friends from around the world. 🌏
Cathy

Thank you all for your welcome, especially the moderators.
Karen, as a mod perhaps you could advise.
Before I launch off on the posting circuit. Is it ok to incorporate humour into posts and replies. Not the sort that would offend. I am an English gentleman after all what!
Anecdotes and paraphrases. The stuff that cracks a smile, maybe a chuckle. I've read a number of posts now and they seem very matter of fact. Official. I'd like to get folks chuckling, not laughing their fannies* off as this might disrupt good communication.
*We say 'Arse' are these words permissible here, using this context:
"Drunk off his arse" this reads better than say,
"Drunk off his maximus glutomus"
Or perhaps I should post with the humour, and let the moderator decide before releasing it to the unsuspecting masses.
'Moderators' ~ sounds like a futuristic neuro-police force.
Only kidding
B.

We are generally rated pg ( parental guidance) here. Regarding humour. We have a whole subforum for it. Scroll down and read if you have not already.

If you are replying to a thread or starting one that is related to ALS a light touch is fine as long it is not directed at another poster in a mean - spirited way- (something I know an English gentleman would never do) but if the point of your post is humour it should go in the humour section. Hope this makes sense!

Perfect sense,
Unfortunately the time difference dictates my imminent departure to bed. Wednesday has arrived.
Good night all, and to quote one of your own
"I'll be back".
b.

Welcome Ben I'm from down under but they let me play, so you'll be fine. Test your humour out and see how it sits - I'd rather English humour any day - think Terry Pratchett and I'm rolling about laughing that maximus glutomus off :ROFLMAO:

I personally find “maximus glutomus” much funnier than “arse”.

Personally, if I were driving down a road and came to a sign that said “dead end”, I’d be much more amused if it read “gluteal necrosis” (but I have a dark sense of humor).

Do make frequent use of the “jokes” sub forum.

Welcome Ben. Speaking for myself, I find making jokes about my condition weirdly comforting. Last time I checked, ALS can't take away our sense of humor. So that's something. References to Monty Python especially welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back