Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck Jeff!

We gave this info last week to Emory ALS research nurse, who said she had not heard of anything like this.

The resident pooh-poohed Lithium saying there were horrendous side effects. HA! HA! HA! I think PALS may be willing to put with some side effects!

Please keep us informed brave soul!

So, are they doing the lithium salts in the U.S.? You'd think they'd be trying absolutely everything to get this disease stopped.

Any news on this? Any luck with your new treatments Jeff or AL?

Thanks

Steve

I've been taking Lithium Orotate along with my Rilutek at 50 mg/day for a little over two weeks now. I haven't had any side effects, my blood work AST/ALT came back normal. After only two weeks I didn't really expect to see results yet. The only things I can report are after a week I had some muscle soreness in my gluts which lasted for about two days. The soreness is the kind you get after you did too much and the muscle gets sore. A few days later I had the same thing in my left shin. This could be complete coincidence and for right now I take it as that but those were the last two places I experienced weakness. If I go back to clinic in three months and have shown improvement in strength then I'll be a little more excited until then I'm assuming any perceived improvement is placebo effect.

Hi - I Didn't check the date on your posts.....I can't believe its only been two weeks. My perception of time is way off, I don't even know what day it is half the time :D

Good luck

Steve

Another article on study

Found this on another ALS forum.

Nov 23, 2007

Lithium "to slow down, with a certainty in excess of 95%, the progression of ALS". These exceptional results came out from an Italian study on 48 ALS patients, 32 treated with standard therapy of riluzol, 16 treated with riluzol and lithium. These results have already been submitted to a well-known international journal that is now verifying the data and may publish the report shortly. "15 months after the start of the study, 30% of the patients treated only with riluzol died. In the second group there were no deaths, even though half of the patients in the group had the most aggressive form of ALS, that is bulbar". This is what one of the Italian researchers, experimenting with the use of lithium against ALS, Francesco Fornai, associate professor of the department of Human Morphology and applied biology at the University of Pisa, stated. Furthermore, utilizing parameters from the neurological scale to measure progression, there was no significant deterioration of the ALSFRS-R, while the decline was evident within 3 months in the other group. At the end of the study the decline was measured at 50%. A preview of this study was given on Nov 8, 2007 during the XXXIV LIMPE Congress, the Italian league in the fight against Parkinson's disease.
The neurodegenerative pathology and ALS, explain the researchers, have many common elements. Funds permitting, lithium will also be studied against Parkinson's disease. In the meantime, the Italian study may obscure patient's expectation of the other study due in January 2008, that is the US study on the Igf-1.
The attention on therapies against ALS has intensified in Italy since the Ministry of Health decided against the treatment of patients with the drug Igf-1 or the combination Igf-1/Igf-Bp3.
Fornai started to study medications not provided by the Healthcare system in Italy, which patients have had to go through the Courts to obtain. Fornai started to study the effect of lithium 2 years ago on mice genetically modified to develop ALS, starting with the capacity of this substance to intervene on certain cellular degenerative processes. "As I proceeded with the research I noticed how lithium would slow down other cellular damaging mechanisms."
The Italian researcher explains how, with appropriate distinctions, ALS and Parkinson are similar in the effect they have on cells. " In the first a slight compromise of the damaged neurons in Parkinson, in the latter we noticed spinal damage as in ALS". Lithium, known as a treatment for bipolar conditions, "accelerates mechanism to remove proteins and altered mitochondrion. It also increases the speed that cells dispose of signs of the decease, practically freeing themselves.
Lithium always promotes the birth of new mitochondrion. Therefore, it does not block the gene that triggers the decease but it accelerates at that point the replacement to stop the progression, a process that the third characteristic of lithium contributes to, i.e. neurogenesi. In some stem cell studies, it was observed how this substance increases the survival in the bone marrow."
Since the first tests were concluded, one hundred more patients are now under treatment, under a new protocol established with the Italian Drugs agency (AIFA). "If the positive results are confirmed by this new study, the sampling will be even larger. Likely, colleagues in the rest of the world will do the same".
The Italian scientist will continue his research in this area but adds: "we have to try other molecules such as Rapamycin (sirolimus) that in contrast to lithium is more expansive" Although the road is clearer, the hunt is not over. It is a project that the University of Pisa is undertaking with IRCCS Neuromed, the west Piedmont University, the IRCCS Santa Lucia and the teaching polyclinic Sant'Andrea in Rome.

The link to the Italian publication is as follows:
http://staminali.aduc.it/php_newsshow_0_6473.html

This article was published in a publication called
Stem Cells
bi-weekly publication
Cellule Staminali ( http://staminali.aduc.it)
bi-weekly news on therapeudic cloning
Edited by: ADUC ( association for the rights of users and consumers)
Via Cavour, 68 -50129 Florence Italy
Tel 055-290606 Fax 055-2302452
[email protected]

Year 2007 Number 153 of Nov 23,2007

Best,
Kathy

Good news! The Italian study has been accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. This is an important step that really speaks to the quality of the study.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at this link the other day and was interested in the information. The link is not working now....any info on this?
Thank you

Just worked for me.
AL.

Works for me now too.... must've been down for some reason. Thank you!

If I'm reading the information correctly on the link provided above, those who are taking part in the informal study of lithium are doing well. That is, their scores have either improved or remained stable. I do see one problem, however. the ALSFRS-R score can only go up to 40, which identifies no problem, yet some of the participants have scores higher than 40?

The ALSFRS-R has a high score of 48. 12 questions scored from 0 to 4.

Zen:

I took the scale on the link provided and selected normal for all questions just to see the highest score and it was 40. What am I missing?

I haven't checked the one at that page. Patients like me use the ALSFRS-R in its calculations and the high is 48. I think the original ALSFRS had a high of 40 but I'm not sure. Sorry didn't read the whole thing the first time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff:

Yes, I see. I probably took the older version, then. Do you have a link to the newer version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back