Status
Not open for further replies.
The target level for ALS is .4. You can look at the international spreadsheet and find info there. alslithium.atspace.com

The 1.6 level is for bi-polar I think.

Sharonca

1.2 mEq/l is the highest level recommended for bipolar patients. I'd check that number again and make sure. The FDA page on lithium has the following:

Adverse reactions may be encountered at serum Lithium concentrations below 1.5 mEq/L. Mild to moderate adverse reactions may occur at concentrations from 1.5 to 2.5 mEq/L, and moderate to severe reactions may be seen at concentrations from 2 mEq/L and above.

I would be extremely careful and ask for some very strong reasoning before letting them take you even to 1.0 let alone 1.6.

Are you getting this from a GP, Neuro or an ALS Clinic? Most people I've heard of start with 150mg twice a day and then have blood checked.

Al.
My husband is on 300 mg twice a day. I don't know what his level is yet but the nurse at the Dr's office said it was ion the low side. The Dr did say when he gave it to him that he didn't what to give him to much. I have a friend that takes lithium because she is Bi Polar she takes 900mg a day. She has been on that amount for years. We have a good friend that is a neuro phycologist she say lithium protects the nourons and if a bi polor person takes it they don't get Alzimers. I beleive it will help. How much we will have to wait and see. It is a safe drug. Its been in use for 40 years. Good Luck!

I talked with the nurse yesterday and he said they are looking for a level of .6 - 1.2. I quoted the Italian study ranges to him. It sounds like the doctor is looking for Bi-Polar type levels to me. He said something about different labs measure these levels differently and assured me it's the same as in the Italian study. We have an appointment in two weeks so hopefully we can get to the bottom of this then. Anyone else run into this?

I haven't but I question his statement that levels are measured differently. Lithium levels, at least to my limited knowledge, are measured as mmol/l or mEq/l. Using either of those measurements the desired range according to the Italian study was 0.4 - 0.8. I'm not saying 1.2 is necessarily bad however it is higher than what was required. I'd just ask the questions.

Hey folks,

I just got my first lab value back and it was <0.2 mEq/L. I have faxed it to my neuro, waiting to see if I have to do anything different. I am currently on 150mg twice a day.

About all the difference I can see is my saliva is increased, my urine output is increased and my slurred speech is increased!

Keep the faith,
brenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back