new - introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

lance

I'm 39 years old and was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with als, I have a 4 year old son who is my best buddy - how do I tell him? I'ts driving me nuts right now everytime I think about it. I've been trying to keep a positive attitude - but it's hard - lost about 80% use of right arm, can pick up a hammer but not a pencil? I was a self-employed flooring contracter who has been lucky to find a job elsewhere in the field as a salesman, quite a change - especially when people want to shake your hand. Anyway, enough ranting - just glad I met a forum with real people like me
Out
Lance

http://www.march-of-faces.org/KIDS/
Hi Lance sorry you're here but glad you found us. The link above is put up by the ALS Society about telling your children about ALS. It may be too much for a 4 year old but I haven't been around one in a while so it might work for you. I'd try to be as honest about it as you can without being too technical. Kids pick up a lot more than we give them credit for. hope the site helps.
Al.

I just forwarded the kids link to my boys ,15 ,13and 7.Thanks Al,good site.

That is a great site Al. Very kid friendly. Where do you find these things?
Dana

The credit for that one goes to the ALS Society of Canada. If you spend enough time on the computer it is amazing what you will find. As luck would have it LOL I have time.

The real credit for that site goes to Terry Frank of the ALS March of Faces as she was the one that created it. There are also some pamphlets available on how to tell kids about ALS. Some of them are actually listed on my site under the heading of telling children about ALS. Hope this helps Lance

I stand corrected. Guess my info was incorrect. Thanks for giving credit to the right person George.

No problem Al, it is just that I know how much work Terry has put into that site and more importantly to that section of the site that I just had to give her all the credit she is do. Actually there is quite a bit of information out there you just have to look for it. I think though that one is really the best and it is the one that I sent my grandchildren to. Luckily my children were old enough to understand all about ALS when I was diagnosed and of course over the 14 years that I've had ALS they have learnt right along with me what is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back