New? Introduce Yourself - Say Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Mom took Prozac for a short time after my father passed away. It was a blessing for her. Schedule an appointment with a therapist, but don't discount the Prozac.

I just do not want to see him run to an antidepressant because they are a huge responsibility. A few friends of mine also said that it is not great for people with ADHD and may make him worse. I was reading about Cymbalta because it is supposed to help with the physical aspects of depression and also at Wellbutrin. If we could just find ways for him to relax. I think we could both benefit from therapy and then maybe the doctor could better decide what meds if any we should try. I do think SAM-e and maybe a magnesium/maltic acid supplement is a good start as far as pills. It's been a rough few months and what makes it worse is that he feels like he has to be strong for his parents and has a hard time showing his feelings. He can't cry with them.

Here's an idea -- let your husband and his doctor(s) decide what the best course of action might be. Perhaps a bit less reliance on "friends who say." Especially when it's his health and business that you are spreading throughout your circle of friends. You did get his permission before you started seeking the advice of those people, didn't you?

No, HE doesn't want to take any antidepressants at this time. Yes, WE both asked my 2 girfriends who've taken it. Yes, the doctor agreed it can make you bounce off the walls and my husband told the doctor HE needed time to think about it. He's actually right here over my shoulder. Wow. Just wanted to introduce myself and maybe get some advice on resources because it's not easy to find it. Unbelievable.

TRfogey is from Raleigh too so you know what they're like. I don't think he meant to sound as harsh as he did.

AL.

Hi Everyone.
I've joined this forum because my sister has just been diagnosed with MND.

One day at a time.Sorry you are here. Welcome. It is so hard what you are going through and I hate to say it but it is just going to get worse. Believe me..... After the shock wears off, it's very emotional, everyday. Anti depressants I'm sure will help, but sometimes your body had to cope with the raw feelings. Some times covering up those feelings to much, just make's it harder later on. Once your husband excepts what his dad has, they he can deal with it.Easier said then done. You should have your hubby on this site, he might find we can also help with people have already delt with this, and he can learn about the disease too.He NEEDS to stay strong to help his dad, If he has a break down he is not going to be able to even help himself. I am so sorry your family has to go through this.One day at a time, everyday is truly a"Present" His dad is living with ALS, not dying from it. Good luck to you and your family.

Yes, my husband peeks in from time to time. He's known what was happening for a while now, but 1. he felt he had to stay "together" for everyone. and 2. self preservation. 3. He was praying it was something like MS----anything but ALS. It's slowly been getting worse since before his dad's diagnosis in October. I'd shared with his mom a bit over Thanksgiving how he was struggling quite a lot even though he may not be showing her. Behind closed doors its been different. He finally told her some of what he's been experiencing last week and it maybe made him feel a little better. He hasn't been complaining about the soreness from tensing up his shoulders as much. You can just talk about his dad and his shoulders tense up like he's shrugging. You can see it. He's having tension headaches still. I told him we ALL need to do something because this isn't going to be a few weeks of struggle... This is going to be months and maybe years. We don't know. WE (whole family) can't go on having migraines, panic attacks, sleeping all the time, etc. like this for months and years because we need to find a way to LIVE as best we can. Much like you said, his dad is living with ALS! Told him we all need to find some outlets to release our frustrations so it doesn't eat us to death.

Coping with my mother's death in October, I need this too, for my own reasons. I need to start painting again. I'm an artist, but when my dad died it kinda deflated me. Feel like I've lost a lot of who I was.

Hi everyone, I joined this group for support and information. My mom has ALS and it is really hard for me, my sister, brother and other family members to handle. My mom has always been there for all of us and is probably the strongest woman I know and now watching the monster destroy her is awful. She was originally diagnosed with PSP then through further testing, diagnosed with ALS. It is going has been since 2009 we noticed something changing with her, but officially diagnosed in 2010. She doesn't speak, uses a machine to help her with that or her boogie board, in the last 3 months, she has gone from a cane to a walker and now on a feeding tube since 12-16-11.

I guess I want to know is, what kind of help is out there, funding, what are we to expect, and so on. She does go to an ALS clinic and they do check the progression of this disease, talk to use about some stuff, but now really tells us what to expect in the future. Any advice or help would be greatly accepted.

Hi, I am joining this forum group because my father was just diagnosed a month and 1/2 ago with ALS. my grandfather died of this same horrific disease 10 years ago and I'm at a loss of how I can go through this all again. Especially now that we know it is the genetic form and any of his children( including me) could be diagnosed at any time. scared and grief stricken is the only way to describe what we are all feeling right now. I'm turning 30 in 4 days and and I'm his oldest child. his youngest being 11 yrs old. I am in need of support through all this from people that know the disease and are not new to tragedy. Thank you for listening and being here.

Christi-
I am so sorry to hear about your family's new diagnosis, our families have a lot in common:( My grandfather had ALS, at the time there was so much unknown about ALS. Unfortunately, we did not realize that our family had a genetic form of ALS until my mom was diagnosed in 1989. I am the youngest of 4 daughters, and was diagnosed almost a year ago at the age of 37. As of now my sisters appear as symptomatic, but live in fear every day. My best advice to you, as I've been in your shoes on so many levels, is make the best of your time with your dad. Do not waste a minute, say what you need to say, and try not to let ALS take over your life or his life. I know that last bit is a hard thing to do. Try to find joy and happiness in everything you do, even the mundane every day chores. On the flip side, allow yourself to breakdown, cry and scream about the unfairness of this situation. I always say, allow bad moments, not bad days.

Now, from a family & patient standpoint- are you familiar with your local ALS Chapter? The Greater Phila Chapter has been a tremendous help to my family, now and when my mother had ALS. They can help connect you with the right doctors, therapists, and social workers to make navigating these waters a little easier. We are an SOD-1 family (which we found out when I was tested), and I was able to participate in a Phase 1 clinical study out of St Louis, MO. It was very empowering for me to be involved in this study, as it could potentially help save my sisters, nieces & nephews lives. If this is something your father would consider, start looking into your options soon. Even if you do not have an identified mutation, there are studies trying to find causes for genetic forms of ALS. There isn't much an ALS patient can do to fight back, but I really felt like I was giving ALS a punch!

If there is anything else I can do to help or answers more questions feel free to contact me either on here or email me at [email protected]. I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts. Keep your chin up.

Sincerely,
Karen

Hi. I was diagnosed with Progressive Bulbar Pulsy last August...on my 58 birthday. Drats! I experience mostly swallowing problems and speaking difficulties, with occasional muscle cramping. The muscle cramping can appear with any muscle that has been overworked or overstreatched. I started taking Creatine last month. That has helped with my tongue strength and speaking. It seems to have triggered more frequent muscle cramping. I just found this web site today. Hopefully, I will be able to live several years with this disease and will be able to learn from your experiences and possibly help you by sharing mine. Peace.
RonZ

Welcome Ron but sorry you have to be here.

AL.

I've been on for about a month and somehow missed this thread. I am diagnosed as MND, I am showing LMN symptoms. thinking back, I've had leg weakness for around 2 years before going to seek medical care (and that was 6 months after I developed foot drop).
I am basically stoic and tend to ignore things until the situation is desperate.

I came here because we are a small group and altho different, we share a common bond that those without MND can't fully understand. I find it comforting to be with others who offer realistic support.

My major concern is not myself. I am sort of at peace with my situation. I worry about my husband and the difficulty he is having caring forme. My legs are basically useless, but my upper extremities are slightly effected and I have no bulbar signs.

I am hoping the clinic will help us to get an aide to help him esp with lifting and moving. He's 64 with a pacer defibrillator an we are basically the same size. I am still learning about varies devices to help.

I am a Messianc Believer and my faith has been my strength, I have been married 40 yrs and when my husband told me he would take care of me, I knew he would and it was comforting but I do not want him damaging himself in the process. we have an adult son with special needs, but he is strong and with a good heart and helps out willingly.

I am living life a day at a time. good days, bad days. I am not without hope as believer.

Hello everyone,
This is the first time I am visiting this site.
I am diagnosed with hereditary Sensory Motor Nerves Disorder. I cannot walk properly & I need support. I wanted to know if there is anyone with the same disorder as I want to discuss about the same.
Hoping someone to reply
Rebecca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back