New? Introduce Yourself - Say Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Lori. So sorry about your mom.

Thank you. I am comforted in the knowledge that my mother had made peace with herself and she was ready to go.

Hello folks,

I’ve had ALS since May, 2009, my first noticeable symptom. I was diagnosed on Sept. 9, 2010 with limb onset. Things have been moving right along; I’m in a power wheelchair when I’m awake, and my left arm and hand are going away. But I can still drink, eat, talk, and breathe. Also type, using Dragon (voice) and one hand. And we finally got a lift!

I came to Japan 20 years ago as a tourist from Boston, MA. I’d been a bookstore manager, but the owners gave up. Friends here got me involved teaching a Conversational English class for head nurses at a big local hospital (where I was diagnosed last year!) The following year I married one of my students. We are now both retired, except she now has me as a live-in patient!

Lee

Welcome Lee. H ope we can help.

AL.

Hello My name is Debbie. In July of this year, after many years abroad, my father returned home and I discovered he was ill (horrible surprise as he didn't said anything when we kept in touch on the telephone:shock:). He was diagnosed with ALS in Aug. It seems he first had limb onset (hand) symptoms about a year before that. Both my grandpa and my uncle passed from ALS after about 2 and 2 1/2 years from symptoms showing. He is living with me and my family and I am caring for and supporting him. We have had a couple of appointments with the team at the University of Alberta Hospital in the capital city about 2 hours away at the ALS Clinic. They have been wonderful! We have also had numerous other appointments at our local hospital and doctors. Thanks to everyone for all the great information, I look forward to learning more and making some online friends:smile: Deb

Welcome newcomers!

Welcome Debbie but sorry about your dad. Jump in wherever or whenever you have something to ask or say.

AL.

Hello everyone: I loved reading all the posts and I too have found this site so inspiring and helpful. I bring all the insights and
inspiration with me as I give all my love and care to my best friend with ALS. Love you all!

Hello My name is Cruz and my Dad was diagnosed with ALS in novermber 2011. we the family were devastated but now we are just trying to do as much as we can for him. he just turned 65 in December. he is having trouble walking now, he uses a walker but its time for an electric wheelchair. it is also time to get him a custom van so that he can drive to his md appts, etc, etc... but we are having trouble coming up with the money for it. does anybody knows of something out there that might help us financially with this issue?

So sorry you are here,sorry about your dad, that is a bitter pill top swallow.

you need to get in touch with the ALS clinic. Also there is a section on this forum that sells stuff. Alot of times car dealer will help too. I wish I hit the lottery or something and buy you what you need.

Hi Cruz. I am sorry about your dad's diagnosis. Look up projectmainst.org on the web. They are an organization that focuses all their assistance to ALS patients and their families. A doctor's referral letter is not necessary but it does help to speed up the process. They helped with a grant we used towards bathroom renovations for my husband. (he passed from ALS 9/09) They are a great organization. Good luck to you.

Hi Debbie.....we worked with the team at the UA ALS Clinic too. Great people. Leann is the best! Wendy is too! Let me know if you have any questions. Yasmin.

I'm new! My father in law was officially diagnosed Oct 25 2011. I'll always remember that day as the day we buried my mother and my husband and his family received confirmation. It was a rough day for us all. Big blows...

My husband is having a really hard time since just before Christmas. This past week has been awful. He's started experiencing mini panic attacks and body soreness from tension. Any mention of his dad or other other stressful conversations causes his shoulders and arms to tighten up to the point of pain and leaves him with soreness. He's been to the doctor and the doctor thinks he needs a break. We asked for xanax or something to smooth things out here and there, but he just wanted to prescribe Prozac. I'm a believer that antidepressants should be last resort after you've tried other means. I think we are going to have to see a therapist. I know I need help too... He's always been the positive and strong one... This has me spinning in circles about everything...not just my mom. I'm worried about him, my kids, my in-laws... I mean, my parents always had medical issues, but I never expected my husbands parents to have a health crisis too. Always thought that they'd be "stable"and we could count on them to be around for a long time. To make it worse we have a 6 year old who is still "emotionally constipated" about my mom's passing and very sensitive to any discussion relating to his grandfather.

How do we get through this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back