04/2010
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Campbell River
Hi everyone...

I've been lurking in the ALS forum since before I was diagnosed in April 2010 to see what the scoop was on ALS. I've got the picture now and don't like it much, but there's no use complaining.

At this point, I'm still walking and talking, so I consider myself fortunate. I've had symptoms for almost 2 years now, starting with weakness in my neck, which has progressed to my limbs. I've had the "industrial diagnosis" from G.F. Strong Rehab Centre in Vancouver, BC, Canada, and since May have been seeing a naturopath to get a clearer picture of my situation - body chemistry, food sensitivities, amino acid levels, etc. so that we can devise a more personal approach and do what we can to slow the progress.

We sold our home (with stairs) in the Spring and moved to our island cabin where we'll stay until the weather gets ugly in early November. A manager is running my graphic & web design business and I'm free to work on my health, so my days are taken up doing research and exploring options that might be helpful. I'm not a doctor, so a lot of what I find is over my head. I am following a course of chelation therapy and am taking supplements to strengthen the liver which is often implicated in chronic illness. I find a lot of peace in meditation, positive visualization, painting and art and colour therapy.

I also stay in touch with many family members and lots of friends. Telling them about my diagnosis was such a hard thing to do but over the last few months, we have gotten over our tears, put the fears aside and are seeing each other as often as we can and staying in touch by email and phone. I've been so happy to be in close touch with my parents again. My two grown kids are doing well and life is good - as far as it goes. My husband is stoic as they come, a great support, never lets me get into feeling sorry for myself and brings a great sense of humour. i've never laughed at myself so much!

I'm not looking forward to being less mobile or not being able to talk. I'm sure many of you have been where I am... Thanks in advance for being there as I follow you on this path. I hope, as I'm sure all PALS do - especially in the early stages, that I can figure out some way to escape what's been said to inevitable. I'm trying a few things and if they help I'll be letting you know.

Hi Chameleon, and as you know, you are very welcome as you join us. I'm sorry you need to be here and hope that your therapies help you. And a sense of humor is a "necessary" therapy!
Ann

Welcome Chameleon, I am sorry to hear of you diagnosis but happy that you have decided to come to our forum. There are countless numbers of wonderful people here to offer you friendship, support, advice and to share their experiences.

Stay strong and keep the faith - Ted

Welcome! I'm so sorry that you are here, but hope that we can all be of help to you. I know this group has been an amazing resource for me.

Welcome to the forum, It has been a huge help and support to me and many others. Sorry you have to be here but glad you have found us to help you through.

it is always such a hard welcome to make. We do not want you to be here at all..........but will do our best sto help, and my golly how we all need help
Much love and courageto you

Welcome Chameleon, sorry we have to meet under these circumstance. I know you will meet a lot of
loving and helpful friends. Hope I can be one of them.
GOD Bless Wayne

Many thanks to you all for the welcome! It's sad to know we're all here for the same reason, but great that we can all be here for each other.

Best to all -
Heidi

Welcome aboard, Heidi! I love your introduction!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back