Diagnosis
10/2007
Country
US
State
VA
City
Chesapeake
Hello...glad to have found this site. My dad, 66 next Saturday and just retired two months ago, was diagnosed with ALS this past Tuesday. We'd expected the official diagnosed, but it still hit pretty hard. He's in the early stages, but knowing what's ahead is just mind boggling, to say the least.

My folks seem to be taking the right approach, educating themselves as much as possible and already planning ahead for accessibility in their home, etc. Just can't believe it. Hits you like a Mack truck. Tears, numbness, blocking it out, then repeat.

Being several states away makes it worse. Here with my family but no other relatives around. I'm hoping having a connection via this forum will help me sort through things when I can't talk about it with anyone else and need to vent or emote or whatever.

Thanks for being here!

Sorry you had to look us up and sorry about your dad's diagnosed. You will find plenty of info on this site to help you along the way.

Hello Disbeliver. Welcome to the forum although I am sorry for the reason you have to be here. This is a great place for information-almost no topic is off limits unless soemone tries to sell snake oil or some other bogus stuff. Since your parents are intgent upon learning all they can you might tell them about us. :-D

Glad you found us. we will help in any way we can. Cindy

Welcome disbeliever. Sad but glad you found us.
AL.

Hi There!

I know the Mac Truck feeling. We are always here for whatever you may need. My mother has ALS, and like you somedays I am still in disbelief.
I wish you peace and hope!

hi disbeliever

hi disbeliever,

i know the sort of confusion and hurt u must be going through. . .im 3 weeks off completing my last year at high school and my step father was diagnosed with MND around half way through. . . at first i didnt know what to think. . . i can imagine ur dad was quite like mine, very ambitious and determined, mine is also a work-a-holic so giving up working was hard i also know what the distance from family is like all our relatives live 12 hours away im sorry that u have to join the rest of us in the pain and suffering. . . however i know even posting replies to peopleand hearing other peoples experiences elps a lot. . . . i cant tell u and everyone else here how sad it makes me to know that other people feel the same hurt but its good to have people here to trust and look to for support. . . .i may only be 17 but its helped me a lot to come here and let off some steam hope you and your family are coping through such a difficult time, you all sound like intelligent and caring people, thank you for sharing your story

kaila :)

Thanks for the support...

Thank you all very much for your kind words of welcome and encouragement. I suppose this is one of the true positive values of the internet - being able to connect with people through a common cause - those with whom you'd never have met or come into contact with otherwise.

My folks are making "official" announcements to friends this week, so I know that will be hard on them.

Anyway, mainly wanted to say "Thanks" for replying to my post from the other night. I look forward to more discussions and hopefully being able to support others myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back