Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
City
NW of Toronto
I was given a pair of gloves this week by a lovely lady who lost her husband to ALS in Dec. Her husband had curled fingers as I do. She took the gloves to a tailor who cut them down the side down to the baby finger and put in a zipper. You can open the zip, slide your fingers in and zip up. I thought it was a great idea and her and her daughter and Lee and I came up with the idea for this forum for tips and gadgets etc. I hope this will be a help to us all. I'll take a pic of the gloves and post it.

AL.

hi al!
there are also gloves with fingers that only cover half the finger, with a mitten end that flips over the tips of the fingers. i rolled up a chuck, inside out, and fished a long strip of velcro through it, so that it could be held in place over the tops of his hands while my husband slept. it helped to ease the clenching of the hands, and prevented him from digging his nails into the palms of his hands. the core of the chuck (facing out) also absorbed sweat. it worked out well, and was inexpensive enough that if it got dirty or wet, i just made another one, and fished the velcro through the new one. my husband was over 6'2" and we adapted lots of things at home because it was either not available, or too expensive to buy.

Great ideas! We can always use some tried and true tips around here! Good work Lee and Al! (As usuap!) :)

One of my caregivers knitted me a pair of mittens without the thumbs, they look more like socks for someone with short, fat feet, but they work great:mrgreen:

I have a pair of those mitts but found I had no control of the wheelchair with them on.

AL.

Tube tip

This forum is a great idea, Al ...

Probably everybody knows this but me, but from a random nurse visit yesterday, I got the following instructions on feeding tubes.

If you take your feeding lying down, you should have your head and torso inclined about 30 degrees. (A couple pillows) If you lie flat as I'd been doing, you can aspirate into your lungs with a tube feeding, too!

Nobody mentioned that before ...

Great tip Beth, I will remember that if and when I have a PEG, I expect I will at some stage, I saw my mother waste away, and I don't want that for me. My weight is still stable and I can eat still, so am doing ok, except thin liquids, miss my tea and coffee! Hard food I get tired chewing. So the blender is getting alot of work.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back