Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
KY
City
Stanford
Has anyone experienced a sudden loss of use on one side of mouth? My father thinks my mother has had a stroke within the past 30 minutes. There is nothing going on other than one side of her mouth remains closed. It reminds me of bell's palsy.

She is able to answer questions, and says she doesn't have any pain associated with it.

If you suspect stroke, get her to an emergency room. There is a "golden hour" in which stoke victims can recover with medical attention if seen soon enough.

How's it going? Have you found out anything about your Mom? I'm sure you will tell us when you get a chance.
Things happen suddenly or gradually and sometimes without alarm or fanfare, but changes like that should be reported to a doctor. With ALS there isn't much to be done, but things like a stroke can often be treated.
I'm thinking about you and saying a prayer. M

This is not a stroke. it is bell palsy and it can strike als patients suddenly and relentlessly. Hospice advised pain medication....but she is refusing because she isn't having pain. I guess hospice offers pain meds for any and all situations.....makes me wonder.

Bells Palsy can strike anyone, and the treatments are quite simple but if memory serves me right it does go away on its own. (You might want to "Google" this, however.)

One of the women in my office had it for a short time about 5 years ago when she was in her 40's. Her main complaint was that she looked funny, LOL!

According to the ALS Association's web sight, Bell's Palsy strikes suddenly in ALS patients and gets progressively worse. The strange thing about this is that as of this morning, her mouth was back to normal! I guess it was due to muscle contracture. Anyway, I can't even fathom it being the way it was yesterday without being painful. She is having painful cramps in the crook of her foot and occassionally her calf. She said whatever was going on with her mouth was not the same type of feeling.

Thanks for this information. More proof that ALS-expert docs are better treating even regular stuff when it comes to this disease!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back