Status
Not open for further replies.

jmaggiem

Hello all! I have recently decided to take a break from nursing school and have taken a job looking after a young man with ALS. He is married to an amazing woman and has a young son. I am his first caregiver and am amazed how easily he has accepted me into his home! He inspires me! Anyways, I try to do daily stretches on his hands, wrists and feet as he is losing mobility. Can anyone suggest some specific stretches for him that I could do?
Jill

Welcome Jill - that's amazing for you to take time off from school for this man. Is it someone you knew before? The families do seem to grow closer together through tough times like these, at least for the most part. Some relationships get stronger and some go away, but the ones that stick around definitely get stronger. I'm sure there will be lots for you to learn from this group, both factually and emotionally. We hope you stick around. MElissa

Hi Jill:
I did range of motion exercises on all joints to try and keep the muscles supple. Started with the shoulders and arms. Moved down to the legs then ankles. A physio therapist will help you out with this. As well, some sort of hand brace can be used at night to keep the fingers extended to help keep them from curling .

Good Luck

T.

try out this link; http://www.irrd.ca/education/presentation.asp?refname=e1a2 . It is a very good outline of the ROM for a person with ALS.
The physiotherapist in the community care centre in your patient's area should be able to provide inservice for the ROM. If you are in Ontario you can contact the case nurse manager for your patient at the CCAC and make the request; that their jobs to provide training/inservice, I know because I used to work there!
If you need any other resources, just ask I have a lot of resources because I also used to teach a nursing program.
Patsy

Hi Melissa! Dean is not someone I knew before, I just happened to chance across this job and feel extremely lucky! We already have developed a great repoire. Thank you for your support! Tomorrow I am going to the Vancouver ALS society to see what kind of information or resources they have handy.
Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
Patsy, this was an amazing link, thank you so much!
Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back