Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
I use a AVAP machine at night and during naps. It works extremely wellwell and is quite comfortable. But lately I have been waking up at night and it feels like suddenly my lungs can't handle the volume of air. This is quite uncomfortable and results in the extra air forcing my mouth open to release the extra air. this brings on extreme dry mouth and panic. It takes a long time to settle down and return to relaxed breathing.

does this mean I need a setting adjusted? I'm hesitant to change anything since the rest of the time it works great. Can anyone explain what is going on, Laurie!

Yes, it probably means you need the max IPAP adjusted (the top of the range that the machine can hit). If your EPAP is set as the same for both max/min, which I generally recommend for PALS, you may also need to drop down the max PS if you reduce the IPAP.

So your target volume can stay the same, just that we can tell the Trilogy to not ramp the air up quite so dramatically to get there. It probably happens when you are in deeper sleep and your breaths become slower/shallower.

Do I have your settings?

Thanks Laurie, these are the settings from my trilogy. The AVAPS is set the same. We do not know how to change settings on it so we may need guidance.
86E9992B-C05D-45D6-8C70-A183E0009464.jpg

554317F1-2D4D-4D26-A24D-B3ED138201C4.jpg

4FC9BBE2-4361-408A-BE2A-178CF4B9FD3E.jpg

ADC1C4D2-BA1A-4CF7-9DC7-EFB065C9A3F2.jpg

48558146-31A3-41EB-9145-224883B0ED92.jpg

I have the same thing happening but I find it happens when I stop breathing which happens to .me frequently. I use a chinstrap to prevent dry mouth and i b ite down o a washcloth that i dampen.

I'm sorry, I'm lost. There are 2 different settings here, more different than night vs. naps. Which are you using when? Did someone change one to the other?

Also, what is your height/weight?

KW, you should have a backup rate set so you don't stop breathing. Do you have your settings handy?

sorry for the confusion . I am pretty ignorant when it comes to the settings.

the trilogy had two settings, one for when I could still use the sip and puff feature and one for the rest of the time my avaps machine is set like the trilogy but not the passive two setting used for sip puff.
I will pm you with phone number if you don't mind talking to my sister or caregiver. Thanks so much.

kw, I had that thought too. It feels like maybe I have stopped or slowed breathing and the machine starts pushing air harder. I use a chinstrap too, but the extra volume of air forces my mouth open.

this is what it feels like, but Laurie probably has an opinion on what is really going on.

Laurie is my hero!

she was right on about the settings that needed changing. I have gone from being so miserable that I wanted this to just be over to sleeping through the night again. And all that was needed was a simple change.

thank you seems inadequate. We are blessed to have such a knowledgeable woman who is so willing and capable to support us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back