Diagnosis
08/2016
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Aurora
My parents need a new bed to keep my dad safe. He can still walk with a walker, but his getting out of bed is extremely unsafe.

The ALS Society suggested a hospital bed. My father doesn't want to separate from my mom.

Does anyone know what options they have for an adjustable bed that can go up and down and comes with a split queen/king size?

We have a king size split bed that goes up and down. Its s memory foam mattress. It is great. It uses twin XL fitted sheets. It vibrates which soothes the cramping. I want to be together till the end.
I shopped around, finally my dad found one at Costco. I am not sure if you have in CANADA. I also purchased an item called a BED CANE. It helps me pull my self in the bed. Look at amazon, they have several style about $70 bucks.
I hope this helps,
Cheers Jocalyn

Miav,

There are definitely split adjustable beds but if he ultimately needs Hoyer transfers, they will probably need new beds at that point as a Hoyer won't fit under a "non-hospital" bed generally. Also even a "hi lo" bed usually doesn't have as much range in height as a hospital bed.

Some of us bought other beds and went side by side, with a couple of inches in between the hospital bed and the spouse's bed.

I have a tempurpedic split king that the head and feet go up also has the vibration which I find loosens the mucus in my lungs. It is high so I use my lift with my ceiling track to get in it. We also have different mattresses. Mine is extra firm so I can turn and my husbands is softer and has the cooling gel. We can still snuggle.

My wife did not want us to be separated either, we finally agreed on a hospital bed for her and a twin for me next to her. In the long run, that saved us some money and energy as she now uses a lift and it needs a single size bed.

I was going to suggest the hospital/twin pair. I think it is reasonable and practical.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It does make more practical and economical sense to go with the ALS Canada covered hospital bed and a twin right beside it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back