Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
Friday my PALS received his Talk to Me assistive communication device. After a frustrating attempt yesterday (I couldn't get it set up correctly), I was finally able to get him on the device this morning and he sent his first text message. I think it is going to be difficult for him at first, and he says he is tired (hard to learn new things and he is tending to use his head movements more than his eyes for now) but I'm hopeful this will help him feel more connected.

Funny, when I first started on this journey I thought how awful all of these devices were going to be to use, and how hard it would be. Yes, it's hard, but all of the things we've added in have helped my PALS and kept him going. He's been frustrated lately as his speech deteriorates. I can still understand most of what he says, but that is diminishing and others have a hard time. I'm so glad we got this device going now.

V

I hope he learns how to really stay connected. Can I suggest, only let him work with it for short periods of time so that he doesn't get too tired. He will learn so much more if he spends 15 - 30 minutes on it, 2 or 3 times a day, than if he tries to sit at it for 2 hours.

Thanks Tillie we spent about 40 minutes or so this morning and that was good for him for starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back