New Article? / Research: Embryonic Stem Cells Show ALS Can Arise From Support Cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

robc

Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Country
US
State
Oregon
City
Silverton
I read an article posted today.. so I'm wondering if this is truly new research or if this website just happened to post some old news.

In part:
Our studies demonstrate that glial cells carrying a SOD1 human mutation have a direct effect on motor neuron survival and provide a powerful tool for studying the mechanisms of neural degeneration," the scientists wrote in their report, noting the stem cell derived system "could provide cell-based assays for the identification of new ALS drugs."

Can someone that understands more than I do break this down for me? Is this some new breakthrough that is going to allow for a new glial cell assay that doesn't already exist? It seems like there has been a lot of research around Glial cells in the past 2-3 years.. I guess I just assumed that there were already assays available.

Maybe this is just old news that this website is reposting?

Thanks!

-Rob

as far as i know they do believe it could be a link towards als .but in other countrys they have done research on humans and no cure was ever found with that study .but wos to say you know what i mean .hopefully one day they will solve this mystery

Jeff,
I havent seen the article but i firmly believe that in the future Stem Cells, in some form or another will pay a part in a treatment or a cure for ALS.
I just wish for all our sakes that it would happen sooner than later.

Cheers
Peter

I think I believe stem cells will provide something in the future! I certainly hope they do! I echo what Peter says.

Right now they don't work but don't discount them in the future! It is only a matter of time.

i wish i could understand it all then i could figure it out but the science of it is too much and i get lost in it sad part of having a.d.d .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back