Not open for further replies.

Kristin01

Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
Hi everyone. I'm pretty worried. Here's my situation. I am 25 yrs. old and am 14 weeks pregnant. About 2 weeks ago, I was laying on my couch and felt my right calf twitch a couple times. I thought nothing of it. By the next afternoon, the twitches were in both of my legs, my feet, and my butt. I felt a couple twitches when I was standing up, but mostly only while resting. They have been there everyday since. I can't sit down for 30 seconds before they start up again. I also get them in my abdomen, neck, face, eye, arm, and hand, but definitely not as frequently as in the legs and feet. I called my doctor and asked if this could at all be related to pregnancy and she said no.

Meanwhile, I had a neurologist who had seen me because ever since I became pregnant my hands have been falling asleep at night and I had weird sensations in my feet occasionally. He scheduled me for an EMG last week with one of the other neurologists and the neurology center. My NCV/EMG came back normal in the hands, indicating that I did not have carpal tunnel. The neuro who did it still felt it was related to pregnancy. He also did an EMG of my right calf because of the weird sensations I had been having. I mentioned the twitching to him and he didn't seem concerned whatsoever. He didn't do a neurological exam because he was simply seeing me for the EMG. I had however been examined by the other neurologist already because he wanted to make sure that the numbness and strange sensations could not be attributed to MS. He tested the strength in my hands and feet and had me walk on my tip toes and said everything looked fine. So, back to the EMG of my leg. I asked the neurologist performing the test about ALS and he said that if I had been having twitching at all in that calf, and if it was due to ALS, the results would not be normal. They were normal, however, he only used 2-3 needles in my lower leg. Would this be enough. Since then, I would say that many days, the twitches are more frequent on my left leg.

I haven't noticed any weakness. I do know for a fact that my right leg is larger than my left in the calf area. My right calf muscles are much more defined and bulge more when flexed compared to the left side. Whenever I work out, my left calves hurt afterwards and my right calves don't. Is this related to atrophy or is the dominant side leg sometimes bigger? I'm sorry to be rambling, but does my situation sound anything like ALS to you? Thank you in advance.

Hi Kristin,

I feel for you. I know what its like. Is this your first pregnancy?
Most of my symptoms started at the end of my 3rd one. I dont know what to tell you on the twitching, they "say" many can twitch and it not be als. I have had alot of health issues's over the years and Never had twitching. It just freaks me out. I have been twitching for over 4 months and had a clean emg.

I would give this time. Have you had your electolytes checked? when I had a severe colon infection in the winter and was in the hospital, I had a decrease in potasium. I had a twitch in my calf (that is hallmark for that defiencey). what I can tell you about that was, It was in one area and it was constant, not in any other areas of my body. It was fluttering and when they gave me the potasium it went away. this was long before my new all over twitching. My point is that they say deficiant potasium can do that, but I had that and it was local in my case~~not all over. I am sure though for some it is all over, my point is that I had that with the defiencey.

This could be hormones or many things. Your body is goint through a big change. I know how scared you feel, but hang in there and give this some time to work out. There are people who twitch.

Best wishes

april

Thank you for responding. I have had my electrolytes checked, and everything was fine. This is my second pregnancy. I had nothing like this with my first.

I hear you. I had nothing like that in my 3rd. My symptoms in the last trimester were breathing and some problems with my left calf. I thought is was varicose at the time but it is not. I also felt like cement. everyone that new me, said somthing changed. I really thought it was the pregnancy, but I am almost 9 months out and it has all gotten worse. Mind you, I have no diagnosed and I am praying that it is a autoimmune or MG or GBS, anything.

You are in my thoughts,

april

Thank you. Does anyone else have an opinion as to whether this sounds like it could be early ALS onset?

Hello Kristin

It's been a short while since we have had a nervous, pregnant lady on here, worried about ALS. Since I have been on this forum, there have been about a half dozen . . . each of them presenting with almost your exact symptoms and worries . . . and not one of them was diagnosed with ALS.

I'm not sure what physician told you that your pregnancy cannot cause your symptoms, but I do not agree (neither does your neuro and the other neuros who were treating the other pregnant ladies that were on this forum). Your body is under a great deal of stress at the moment (pregnancies are not kind to the body). My guess is that you are more than likely under some kind of mental stress as well. Stress in any form can most certainly cause the types of symptoms you describe.

One other thing that you might want to investigate is a deficiency in vitamin B12. Have you had any blood work done? Low B12 can cause neuropathies which could explain your weird sensations. Have them check for circulation problems too if they haven't already.

Do your best to relax. From what you have said: it doesn't sound like ALS to me and your neuro told you the same thing. Keep in touch with him and with us if you feel the need. Take care and congrats on your baby.

Wright...
Thank you for responding. I do feel that you are very knowledgable on this subject and respect your opinion. So you think my twitches are mostly related to physical and emotional stress? Also, what do you think about my left calf being smaller and less toned than my right? Does this sound like atrophy to you or something serious? Sorry if I sound like an obnoxious pregnant lady.

If you have "ALS" atrophy then you will have weakness. End of story! Weakness will actually precede atrophy. The denervation that takes place will cause immediate weakness to the muscle fibers that are denervated and then it takes time for the muscle fibers to atrophy as a consequence of that denervation.

Most people are asymetrical when comparing both sides of their body, so it's my guess that it's always been like that.

Yes, your twitching could very well be explained by your present condition. Worrying more about them will more than likely make them worse (FYI).

You're not an "obnoxious pregnant lady." You are simply voicing some concerns, which is understandable. You are doing the right thing by voicing those concerns to your docs and I'm sure they will take good care of you. Keep them informed and do your best to relax and write to us if you feel the need.

Take care.

P.S. Keep in mind that I can't sit here and tell you with 100% confidence that you don't have ALS or will never get ALS. However, given your symptoms, it doesn't sound like ALS at all and your docs don't think you have it either. Feel good about life and go enjoy the bonding you are going to have with that little child that is growing inside of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back