Not open for further replies.

rictak in IA

Country
US
State
Iowa
City
ruthven
Hi, I'm a 41 yr old handyman/carpnter from NW Iowa. My beautiful wife is 37 and was diagnosed in may of this year. mostly weakness and stiffness in her left side, no breathing or swallowing issues. I doubt she will ever come around to forums like this, kind of an ignoance is bliss sort of thing with her, so I spend alot of time researching/planning/nudging her in the right direction where ever I can:smile:
We are lucky to be living 3.5 hours from Mayo in Rochester, and have her parents be a 30 mn drive from there for when we need to spend overnights. We are in the Deprex. study right now starting her 4th mo.
We have 2 kids,7 and 1, the 7 year old knows somthing is up, but we havn't had any real disscusions about ALS yet. We are taking a week vacation to Disney, leaving sat. It will be my wifes first time in electric chair. and that might spark a few more substancial talks with my daughter.
I only recently found this forum, and spent the first few months on a thread I started over on a music board that I'm part of called "three dimes down.com" the thread is called "mrs W in IA" its full of foul language bad grammer and late night, insomniac rammblings. So veiwer beware. But it does follow my mindset for the first few months, if you're interested,

Oh yeah, and the spelling... yeah, be ready for the spelling.
Anyway, just wanted to get in the game around here, glad I found you.

So sorry to hear of your wife. So very young and your children are so young. Have a wonderful trip and enjoy each second! God's blessings to you and your family!

Welcome. Soooo sorry you are here ,but you are at the right place for answers, advice, compassion and love. Take a ton of pictures so we can enjoy your trip too.. A trip of a life time.

Hi Ric, sorry about your wife. This is a wonderful forum, if I can help please let me know..

I am glad you found the site Ric, it has helped me a lot, the people here are most generous and fun I might add. As with everyone I am sorry you had to find the site, but thank god it is here. If I can help please ask.

Hi,
My name is Mike I was diagnosed with Als in Aug of this year. Im 45 as of yesterday and have 4 Kids. We have told the 3 older ones about my condition but not my 13 year old. We too are going to Orlando leaving on the 13th and I'm hoping not to have to tell her before i have to tell her the story yet. I don't think i will be able to walk around the whole park all day so i will have to use a chair. She just thinks I have a muscle problem. Hope the best for you and your family a safe and wonderful vacation
mike

Sorry you are going through this ordeal, but welcome. I stopped by three dimes and you have some wonderful support there also. This site will help you so much in dealing with ?s and rants and raves that are sure to come up. Have fun on your trip!

Sorry for your wife's diagnosis. I hope that you all have a wonderful time at Disney...it truly is a magical place for family fun!

You will find a lot of help and support on this forum.

By the way my wife and I lived for a little over a year in Spirit Lake, Ia.

By the way my wife and I lived for a little over a year in Spirit Lake, Ia.

The first house I owned was in Spirit Lake. We moved to this location about 10 yrs ago. But I think I was in that place for about 6 yrs before that. :)

The first house I owned was in Spirit Lake. We moved to this location about 10 yrs ago. But I think I was in that place for about 6 yrs before that. :)

We may have been there about the same time. We lived there from August of 1998 until November of 1999.

Did you attend the Okoboji winter games? :)

Small world!

We may have been there about the same time. We lived there from August of 1998 until November of 1999.

Did you attend the Okoboji winter games? :)

Small world!
Almost every year! I lived in Okoboji/Arnolds park from around 91-96, then bought in Spirit Lake. I actually met my wife at one of the beer tents out on the ice during the Winter Games.
Must have been in 2000.

Small world indeed!

That is great! Lived at 901 8th street across the street from the retired police chief. My employees and I played in the softball tournament on the ice during the 98 winter games. So much fun. Then we went to the bonfire that night. I could not believe that not only was the lake turned into a parking lot but they were having a bonfire on it as well! We used to play a lot of golf at the 9 hole course Indian Hills. Although we did not live there long we have a lot of great memories from there!

Sorry about your wife. Tell her to hang out with us and she'll have support, friendship and many questions answered. I was diagnosed in May too.
Coming down Florida way? We live 90 min from Disney and go about once a month.
Feel free to pm me if you have any Disney questions :)

All I have is questions about Disney!:)
Wouldn't even know where to start asking, so we're just going to come down and wing it. Once the daughter sees the big castle, we'll just follow in her wake, and try to keep up!
I was amazed at how little she actually knew about Disney World, she knew she would get to meet princeses, but just asked me last night "Do they have rides there too?":shock:

Thanks
Gary

I am the caregiver for my husband and I'm glad that you're taking the family to Disney World. I grew up outside Orlando before Mickey Mouse even came to central Florida. Hope you have a wonderful time but remember ALS will wear you out quickly. I know you will make wonderful memories with your family.

We are in the Dex study at Emory. He goes for his fourth month check up tomorrow. This was a very hard autumn for his progression.
ES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back