PALS
Country
US
State
Kentucky
City
louisville
Hey All,
I am a 23 year old male who is brand new to the site. My grandfather passed away about 2 years ago from the disease and I am also a major hypochondriac. So during the last couple days im not really sure why but I have been researching ALS and after that I have been noticing some symptoms. First My arms/hands have been feeling weak, I can still perform all the lifting duties at my job but they just dont feel the same. Next, when I speak sometimes maybe one of the words will become slurred, not all just maybe the first one or one in the middle, do those individuals with ALS slurr their entire speech or just little sections of the speech? and I have tended to drop a tiny object every now and then, nothing major but it seems like I didnt do it in the past. Last, It seems like I have more saliva more than usual, I also drool at night, do ALS patients tend to drool during the day at a more accleerated rate because I thought that drooling at night was pretty typical. Thanks so much for your help and hopefully this is all in my head.

New and Concerned

Hey All,
I am a 23 year old male who is brand new to the site. My grandfather passed away about 2 years ago from the disease and I am also a major hypochondriac. So during the last couple days im not really sure why but I have been researching ALS and after that I have been noticing some symptoms. First My arms/hands have been feeling weak, I can still perform all the lifting duties at my job but they just dont feel the same. Next, when I speak sometimes maybe one of the words will become slurred, not all just maybe the first one or one in the middle, do those individuals with ALS slurr their entire speech or just little sections of the speech? and I have tended to drop a tiny object every now and then, nothing major but it seems like I didnt do it in the past. Last, It seems like I have more saliva more than usual, I also drool at night, do ALS patients tend to drool during the day at a more accleerated rate because I thought that drooling at night was pretty typical. Thanks so much for your help and hopefully this is all in my head.

Welcome to the forum, cadobs. I think something significant that you mentioned in your post is that it wasn't until after doing some reading about ALS that you noticed any symptoms. I realize your grandfather had the disease, but be careful with too much self analysis. It's amazing what we can read into our body's behavior. I'm not making light of what you have posted; I'm just cautioning you to try and refrain from worrying too much at this point. I'm sure you understand what I'm saying.
If you want peace of mind, maybe you should schedule an appointment with you doctor.
I wish you well.
Jane

I'm no doctor, and others here have more info, but your symptoms don't look like ALS to me. Weakness doesn't come first and everyone (most folks?) drools while sleeping. And I don't slur my words unless I stay at the bar too long! To ease your mind you should see a neuro for his/her opinion...

cadobs:

There is a difference between subjective weakness, which you describe, and what neuros look for, objective weakness. In objective weakness, it is not a feeling, but the inability to perform certain actions because the muscle force is not available. Jane's observation is important in that you did not start to have these concerns until reading about ALS.

Hi! just one thing, after I started researching this disease, I felt like I was slurring also. iIn my mind I thought maybe I was and I would ask my family and they would say "ah, no!". it seems like from what others have expienced that you will know when you are slurring because other people will TELL you! You may think that it souds fine. My Neuro told me that alot DR'S will self diagnosis even themselves with ALS because so many of them in medical school while learning about this may have brisk reflexes, or maybe clonus, or mild twitching, etc etc. I am sorry to hear about your grandfather:cry: I lost my grandfather to Alzhiemers 2 years ago on MY birthday! Now, that is a terrible disease, to lose your mind but not your body. Take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back