Distinguished member
Country
CZ
State
CZ
City
Prague
Hi,
I wanted to ask if somebody experienced this kind of twitching, also: normal fasciculation is just twitching, when the group of muscle fibers contracts and releases quickly.
But has anyone seen or experienced twitch that is like very small local spasm? I mean that the very small part that is normally twitching just stays contracted and release after a few seconds. So it looks like twitch that is slowed down 10x times.
AFAIK this is myoclonia and its not related, but I would like to know :)
Thanks !

yes yes a hundred times yes! i get these all the time in my calf, about 20-30 an hour

chris

Well, thats good, since you have not ALS it increased my convenience its not fasciculations rather than myclonia.

and you have now made me worried lol what is myclonia?

and if what i experience is myclonia does this point towards als?

chris

Guys, I would tell you not to do this, but I am guilty too. Don't Google myoclonus!

It is NOT muscle twitching, and I don't think I've had it, and I am not diagnosed with anything.

Come to think of it, I'm asking you to not Google what I already have Googled!:roll:OK, carry on...

Myclonus is not the same as "myoclonia", however I couldnt find english equivalent - myoclonus is usually jerk of the muscle/whole limb..but "myoclonia" is twitching of part of muscle with small locomotive effect.
No matter whats the right english term, its not asocciated with ALS and my neuro told me its nothing to worry about.

Well you taught me something Blizna. Thanks.

I'll have to Google it.:lol:

Yes, I get that. I use to get one in the side of my hand last year when it would contract in and hold then release. It was my first 'twitch' and lasted for weeks and have never had it there since. I do get these in my legs also. And I do have myoclunos. My whole limb (usually arm) will jerk by itself. It is mild and Know one would even notice. I use to have alot last spring and these days it is not that bad.

April, my very first cramps were when the side of my hand (where the pinky is) would suck in and hold....not really hurt, but I could tell when it was happening and always had to look at it. Show the kids. Show the cat. Anyone near me, "look at that!" Now my kids make fun of me by holding their hands up to each other while chanting in unison "look at that! look at that!". Glad I could amuse them. :grin:

Lydia

that is too strange, with the same place. I thought it was from feeding the baby with the bottle as it only happen then. It did suck in and out but my went away and was not so often that I could show people at will... My pinkie does ache but I can still move it. I think it strange you had same thing. how long?

April, as to how long...they started about 6 months after the twitches started (so a year and a half ago) and they have really only faded away in the past 6 months. So a year with them several times a day. And when they happened they could go on for a good minute or more. Long enough to draw everyone's attention to them. This is also when the foot cramps started that would bend my foot into the letter "c". Those have also gone away.

Blizna, what does AFAIK stand for?

AFAIK = As far as I know

Sorry... working on my 500 posts. Driving me crazy now that Zaphoon brought it up ;)

Robert

FOUND IT :)

In english it is called "myokymia" and here you can read what I have found about it:

Myokymia is similar to "fasciculations" which are irregular, flickering, twitching movements that are also caused by involuntary contractions of muscle bundles. Fasciculations are finer than myokymia and appear more as rippling movements of the muscles. The difference between the two is really a medical definition and is best detected by EMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back