Nancie

Country
US
State
California
City
Sacramento
Hello, everyone.

My husband (age 50) was just diagnosed with ALS. I am looking for support and resources. I found your forum on the ALSASAC (Sacramento) website.

When my husband falls down, I cannot pick him up. This causes frustration for both of us. It hurts to not be able to help him. (He weighs about 250 pounds, and I weigh 111. When I say that I can't pick him up, I really can't pick him up.)

This has come on fast, and it is progressing quite rapidly. He first had symptoms of drop foot in April. He has almost no use of his right leg now. He is using his wheelchair much more frequently now. He has tremors in his hands.

I thank you all in advance for any help you can give me.

Nancie

Hi Nancie. Welcome to the forum. Sorry you have to be here with us. Before I got really weak and couldn't pull myself up I would get my wife or anyone else around to put a kitchen chair in front of me. It helped because the seat was low enough for me to push on and then the back I could pull up on once I started to get up. When all else fails you might have to call 911 and get a lift assist. A lot of us have done that. Hope this helps. AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back