PALS
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Arnold
Hi Everyone,

Been awhile since I've posted:(. I've just been lurking, but now I have some questions.

I recently have begun using my Bipap about 16hrs a day. I am also having problems with Mucus. I start coughing with every breath. I go off the Bipap and try using the Cough Assist to clear the mucus. I find that I am now able to generate a cough to get it to suck out. I then try the Nebulizer to loosen it up. I am taking Mucinex daily and Albuterol in the Nebulizer. My question is: Has anyone connected the Nebulizer in-line with the Bipap? I tend to hyperventilate when I nebulize. Thanks in advance.

your fellow PAL,
Rich

Hi Rich--Yes, we hooked the nebulizer up through the Bipap....my husband couldnt be off Bipap for more than a minute or so without big stress, so we found a "t" that hooked into the hose up near his mask....because of the in and out of the bipap he felt he didnt get a complete dose each time, so sometimes he would do a double treatment (2 tubes) of the Albuterol.
Our hospice nurse found us the 'T" in their supplies--ask for one...I just looked in our stash and I found one--I will gladly mail it to you if you give me your address--you can send me a personal message here.
My husband died this summer---he was dependent on Bipap 24/7 for the last 10 months.
Good Luck to you---again I will be glad to send you the part we used if you cant find one!
Cheers, Beth

Hi Rich! Does your BiPAP have a humidifier attachment? I find that bisolvan (bromhexine) is helpful with more 'chesty' or pharyngeal secretions. It is a mucolytic and helps to make mucus 'fluffy' and easier to expectorate.
It's helpful to know that a nebuliser can be attached to the BiPAP. That's a great tip.
Cheers, margie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back