Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Baltimore
Afternoon everyone,
My name is Steve.
On July 15,2002 we lost my brother Chris to als. Chris was 1 month shy of his 41st birthday. Needless to say, it was a very difficult time for him, his family and friends.
Both of our parents are alive and it was nearly unbearable watching them watch one of their 6 kids die. As difficult as it seemed at that time, we've all pushed on and as Chris wanted we all share in the lives of his children. He had a son now 14 and a daughter now 24. His daughter had a beautiful baby girl about 10 months ago. I can say that I think we've all learned to better live for each and everyday.

Here's the bad part...

We learned Saturday that our youngest brother Timmy most likely has developed als.
Timmy is 41. He has 2 kids 18 & 15. He hasn't not been officially diagnosed. My father is a physician and he is 99.99% certain.

I simply do not know how in the hell we are going to do this all again. I know we will and eventually that terrible day will once again come to my family.

I suppose there are the inevitable questions..
Do I have the bad gene?
Did I pass it along to my son and daughter?
Did they now pass it along to my grandchildren?

This is an absoultely "#@$&^&*-up" disease!

Hello Steve I am the first in my family with ALS and too worry about passing it on to my children and grandchildren. Yours is an even more difficult position than mine. I can not imagine what to say that would be encouraging other than to say, we know where you're coming from. Feel free to ask questions vent or just hang out. We'll do what we can do to help.
AL.

I am so sorry to hear this news. It has to be absolutely unbearable. I will pray for you and your family. Please know that we are here to help in any way that we can.

Steve I'm so sorry. My family have the hereditary form, but if your brother has ALS your family have it much younger than us. I really am so sorry and I don't honestly know what else to say.
Tho' I do sadly know how hard this is.

Take care
Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back