Not open for further replies.

Nzieli6486

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hi, against my better judgment I'm posting here to see what someone thinks. About 3 months ago I started having pain in my left forearm, and would get pins and needles in my pink and ring finger. This then transitioned to my right arm about 1 month later, same symptoms. About 3 weeks ago I was sitting on the couch with my legs crossed and I noticed I was getting tingling in my right leg. I stood up and it still persisted and I noticed the next morning I had muscle twitches in my right calves area. I had weakness in my right leg and then in my left leg around the same timeframe. This has progressed to having weakness in my right leg, left leg, right Arm, left arm and muscle twitches all over my body. I mean everywhere. They are mostly bad at night or while at rest. I went to a neurologist and I was positive for the babinski test I believe in both legs, and I was hyperreflexia in both as well. I also think I was positive for hoffman's sign on both hands as well. I have internal vibrations on both legs and arms and I'm very very fatigued and generally weak. I walked and did a strength test and both were fine. I also feel my pulse radiating throughout my body and feel flu like ish. I'm showing no atrophy either right now. I'm just very concerned

Hi there-

It sounds like you're already consulting with a neurologist. That's good. We also ask that people read here: Read Before Posting, as it does answer many questions. In it, you will read that sensory issues such as tingling, numbness, etc, point away from a disease that affects the nerves that control movement.
What are the next steps with your neurologist?

Hello. I have an MRI today. The tingling is rare if at all lately. It depends on how I'm sitting..... However, I do have that Weird vibrating sensation on both arms and legs. When my tricep muscle twitches my hand moves on its own. Just now holding my phone, it made me move my phone forward. I have no issues typing on my phone etc. When exerting force like squatting my thigh muscles twitch badly and the same thing happens with my triceps. I just feel achy and weak but I can still walk and jump etc. Just feels awkward sometimes.

I'm sorry you're experiencing all these symptoms. Your neurologist will get to the bottom of it. Sitting with your legs crossed is never a good idea. You are cutting off circulation which can cause tingling. Even tensing your muscles can cause sensory issues.

Just let your neurologist do the testing she/he thinks is necessary. Your symptoms can be found in many conditions so try not to jump to conclusions. Do ask questions and write them down.

Make sure to ask your neurologist what types of conditions can cause your symptoms.

Had the MRI. Spine and neck came back normal. Been having some neck discomfort mainly on the left side of my neck, cough etc. My tricep muscles shake when I flex my arm and so do my thighs. It's like a ripple effect. Whole body still feels Weird and weak. Still can climb stairs, lift weights etc. I don't know, it's just weird all of this came on all of a sudden starting 3 weeks ago. It seems like it's gotten worse but not drastically worse. What's ya'lls opinion? I go this week for a follow up and the emg in August. I'm 29 by the way.

Thanks!

Also forgot to say, but the tingling is basically gone at this point or very rare. Fasciculations mostly happen in the legs but sometimes in arms, shoulders, chest, stomach, etc. They usually only occur when I'm resting or trying to sleep but if I'm moving I don't notice them at all usually.

It would be like having a cough and asking folk online "What do you think?" How many reasons are there for a cough? Same for the many reasons for sensory issues, feeling weak and weird, etc. Keep working with your doctor to track down the source of your symptoms.

If you haven't read the Read Before Posting yet, please feel free to do so. It answers most of the questions that bring people here. ALS is a disease of motor neurons, which means an inability to control/activate muscles and has a particular pattern of symptoms- which you don't seem to report here. Have a read of the link to see more details.

Take care

Ok I just had my emg and ncs today! The doctor said my ncs was completely normal. No abnormalities. She did the emg and found I was a +2 on my triceps but I had zero issues on other muscles and had zero fibrillations at all anywhere. She said this isn't MND. Something is going on but it's not MND. would that be what you'd also say?

4. Needle electrode examination
Needle electrode examination was performed at right first dorsal interosseous, extensor indices proprius, pronator teres, biceps, triceps, extensor digitorum commonness along with right tibialis anterior, gastrocnemius (medial head), vastus lateralis and cervical paraspinals. Acute denervation was not observed throughout the test. A few fasciculations were observed at right EIP muscle only. Features indicative of chronic motor axonal loss were observed at right triceps only.

Conclusion:
This is an essentially normal EMG/NCT, which shows no EDX evidence of large fiber neuropathy or motor neuron disease.

The significance of abnormal findings on NEE (fasciculation at right EIP and neuropathic changes at right triceps) is uncertain

Wondering what "Features indicative of chronic motor axonal loss were observed at right triceps only." means, if someone can help me out.

fantastic news!
yes, ALS would show widespread abnormalities beyond whatever was a single +2
Please work with your doctor to see what is next, but do let ALS go now. I wish you a speedy resolution to this.

You may have an old injury of the R triceps, maybe a tear from lifting. Ask about PT and what next steps are recommended.

Good news is, you don't belong here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back