Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
I am 69 years old and generally in good health.

About 3 months ago, I woke up and odd sensation and with pins and needles in my left leg. At first they would come and go. There was no associated pain or weakness. Eventually the pins and needles became consistent, followed by numbness and weakness. In 3 months, I went from being able to walk 3-5 miles for fitness several days a week to walking with much difficulty with a walker because my left leg is so numb/weak. Five weeks ago I was still able to walk about a mile unassisted. Now my leg just feels like dead wood if that makes sense. The leg is the only part of my body that seems to be affected.

I eventually got an MRI of my lumbar spine which showed a slipped disc and mild stenosis. I saw a very highly regarded spinal surgeon who believes the symptoms are being caused by pressure on a nerve. He wants to operate as soon as possible to relieve the pressure and stabilize the slipped discs. The surgery is scheduled for this week. He also ordered two more MRIs to get a few of my whole spine. The newer MRI showed severe stenosis in one area of my cervical spine.

Yesterday I went to see a neurologist because the surgeon wanted to rule out stroke as my primary care doctor never did that. The neurologist examined me and looked at the various MRIs. He strongly advised against surgery as he believes it will not help because the symptoms are caused by a nerve disease. He would not tell me what he thinks it might be, but the lab orders say “suspect ALS.” This obviously has me extremely worried. I am scheduled for an EMG in a few weeks.

The reason why I’m here is because it doesn’t seem like my symptoms presented like ALS. I’d appreciate any input you could provide. Thanks.

The sensory things do seem more consistent with a spine issue. Hopefully the emg will provide clarity. It is certainly true that if you have ALS or some other condition causing your symptoms you don’t want surgery.

you should be able to read the neurologist’s note on your patient portal. That might help figure out his thinking and see what in his exam triggered this. It is also true that sometimes the suspect x on the requisitions is them putting a dx to justify a test even if they think it unlikely - kind of worst case scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back