Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
NC
City
Wilmington
I was prescribed a statin for high cholesterol, but stopped it when I started experiencing muscle pain. The pain did not subside and my primary physician ordered an EMG which showed damage to my upper arms and shoulders. Since then the discomfort extended to my legs, specifically thighs. A muscle biopsy was ordered and the diagnosis was mild neurogenic atrophy. Is this a precursor to ALS, or can I expect this to progress to that stage?
Paul

I don't know about the progression, but I know when I started having problems with my legs about a year & a half ago I went right to my cardo doctor. I have been taken statins since I was 17 for high cholesterol and I'm now 35. I thought for sure they were the problem, he didn't think so but took me off them anyway and said I should feel better in a few weeks if they were the problem. Long story short they weren't the problem, that's when I started with neuro's.

y'all google statins and ALS. There is a long discussion about this on another ALS forum. Also I believe studies are under way to determine if statins play a role in triggering or causing ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back